Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best substrate for Grammastola Pulchripes ( Chaco Golden Knee ) spiderling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best substrate for Grammastola Pulchripes ( Chaco Golden Knee ) spiderling.

Hello everyone.I have owned my Chaco spiderling for 5 weeks now,and she's now around 1 and 1/2 inch after moulting successfully on 1/6/2012.I will be rehousing her in a small acrylic tank soon,and just wondered what the very best substrate is for this particular species,and where is the best place to buy?The substrate from the petshop is like tobacco,and obviously not good for a burrowing species.Many thanks for taking the time to read this.Kindest regards.Paul.

There are many substrates that you could use, like coir (AKA eco-earth) potting compost, topsoil or a mixture of any of these.
    There are also substrates that are ready made that I have heard about but as I have never used it I cant say if it is any good or not.

Comment

Hello Peter.Thank you very much for your reply.Yes,I looked at an online supplier called Fertile Fibre Online Shop,and they are selling Coir bales pretty cheap.However,I'm not sure what exactly is in the coir,and don't want to put my T at risk. Am I right to be a little cautious,or should i go ahead and purchase the coir bales from them?Cheers Peter.

Comment

The prices on that site look really really expensive to me. I wouldnt pay more than £2.50 maximum for a coir brick.
        The other problem about buying substrate online is the P&P which is a killer because of the weight.
        If you just have the one juvie then i would get down to B&Q and buy a small bag of potting compost for about £3.00, this will last you for several years working on the assumption that you will change the substrate every time you move T into larger tubs.
        I use mainly a potting compost-topsoil mix for my T's straight from the bag but if you are worried just stick it in the oven or microwave before using it.

Though used for Beetles they can also be used to supplement the diet of Roaches, Millipedes and Livefoods.

Comment

Thank you very very much peter for your advice.It is greatly appreciated. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Out of interest,is Spider Life substrate any good?Thank you.

Comment

Like I said, ive never used it but I did have a look and feel of some a while ago, it looked and felt like compost with added vermiculite to me. To me its a substrate for moisture loving T's only.

Comment

That's great Peter.I'm going to go with the potting compost.Thank you very very much for your help ( AGAIN !! )

Comment

Hello.Could you tell me exactly which brand of potting compost topsoil mix you use please.Do I buy them seperately,and,if so,what sort of ratio do i mix them?And finally,where is the best place to buy it?Thank you very very much for your time in advance.When I get this right for my T,I'll be a happy man !

Comment

Getting desperate as i need to move Sweety to slightly better accomodation,and don't want her/him to die.

Comment

Have I made myself look stupid?

Comment

Hi Paul

Not to confuse the matter, I keep all my spiders, slings and adults, on a substrate of aquatic compost. I use this straight from the bag. All my Ts are doing well and I have yet to encounter an problems. This can be bought from B&Q also.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Welsh View Post
                          Hello.Could you tell me exactly which brand of potting compost topsoil mix you use please.
                          No idea what the brand is, anyone will do it makes no difference whatsoever.

Do I buy them seperately,and,if so,what sort of ratio do i mix them?

As far as i know they only come separately. Mix them in whatever ratio you like.
                          I mix them in various ratios depending on what i have at hand at the time that it is needed

And finally,where is the best place to buy it?
                          Buy it wherever you like, any garden centre sells it.

Getting desperate as i need to move Sweety to slightly better accomodation,and don't want her/him to die.
                          Getting desperate for what reason and why will it die ?

Have I made myself look stupid?
                          Stupid in what way ?

I'm trying to work out what the fuss is about.
                          Its substrate, as long as it hold some moisture it doesnt really matter what you use. (Within reason)

Comment

I don't want to to have him/her in a substrate that has contents that could harm him/her.I just want the optimum living area for him/her.I'm sorry to have bothered you.I just wanted a little help,but now feel like a complete prat for asking.I'll just ask the local garden centre what they recommend.

Comment

LOL Paul.
                              Our first tarantula is never sold with the anxieties we gain once we get them home. But tarantula have been around for quite a few years more than we have, and they inhabit a huge range of areas, and quite a variety of climates.
                              They're not too bothered what the substrate is, they just require the opportunity to retreat away from disturbance. So, you could go outside and grab some earth, down the garden centre for some peat or down to the local exotics shop for some coir (coconut husk). The coir requires rehydrating before you can use it and personally I'd keep it just off dry for your species.
                              Perhaps if you let us know which area you live we can suggest where to buy coir, which is what I use for all my enclosures.
                              My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X