Please help, V sick girlie :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help, V sick girlie :-(

I have an adult G. Rosae RCF. Have had her for about 4 years. In that time she's never been a brilliant eater, going maybe 5-6 months without accepting food.

The last time she ate must have been 4 or so months ago.

Her viv is kept mostly dry, but has regular water bowl 'overflows'.

It has been a long while since she moulted.

5 days ago I noticed she was walking strangely, a little wobbly, and obviously kept a closer eye on her. A few hours later I found her on her back and initially was quite pleased, but something just didn't feel right, especially with how she looked earlier. She hadn't popped her carapace, or other signs of moulting, so I opened the latch on her viv and, being quite a highly strung girl she immediately turned straight over, but was very 'jelly-legged'. I soaked her substrate with water, wondering if it was dehydration,and again just kept a close eye.

The next morning she was worse, very unco-ordinated, tumbling and rolling everywhere. I decided to move her to an intensive care box, with damp kitchen roll and popped her in a warm place.

For two days she seemed to improve, was stronger on her legs, and while not 100% was more co-ordinated and kept her babalnce better. I wasn't keen to move her back until she'd reached a complete recovery. I did not offer her food as live food freaked her out when she was well so didn't want to risk stessing her further.

Today I have checked on her, found her on her back again, she's passed the most awful grey diarrhoea and looks an absolute state.

Is there anything else I can do, or is it time to do the brave thing and call it a day? I would say that she is suffering.

Appreciate anyone's help or advice, Anita.

Hi Anita and sorry to hear about your problem.

It sounds like your spider is suffering from what is sometimes referred to as 'dyskinetic syndrome' where the spider loses all control over its legs and seems to freak out when touched etc. As far as I am aware, there is no concrete evidence of what causes this problem and indeed, what is actually happening although it seems a common problem for a lot of spiders in captivity. As there's no research into what is the cause, sadly there doesn't seem to be a cure. Keep doing what you're doing and hopefully it will pull through (which has happened before).

In the meantime, check out some links here

https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&safe...w=1360&bih=660

Hope this helps?
    Guy...
    www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Thanks for your reply Guy, it's kind of reassuring knowing that it might still be worth trying. Got home from work today and she was upright, but almost in a complete death curl.

Weirdly her paper towel. which had been sitting in max 1mm water, was absolutely soaked. I mean ringing wet, so not sure what is going on there. Have moved her onto drier paper and will see what happens.

Thanks for the links, she's doesn't seem as jerky as some of the dyskenetic ones (I had wondered if it was this), but maybe she just gone way past the initial jerky stage without me realising? She's more curled up and tumbling, but I guess like you said, the treatment options are limited, so I'll just carry on and keep my fingers crossed.

Out of interest, there was one clip on Youtube where someone had commented on a 'cure' for dyskenetic syndrome, namely a water bowl with 95% water, 5% lemon juice and a small amount of sugar. Has anyone else heard about this, or am I just clutching at straws?!

Thanks again.

Comment

Hi Anita,
        Again sorry to here about the trauma's you and your little lady are going through. I echo Guys thoughts about keep doing what you are doing.. the chances of a positive ending are not good.. but you should still try. One thing to mention, I don't know whether she was an adult when you purchased her, but the irregular eating sounds a possible sign of older age. I have had my G. cala since she was a spiderling. She is now 18 years old, has not moulted for ages and probably eats twice a year. So it might just be nature taking it's course.
        In regard to the water/lemon/sugar mix. Never heard of this but there is no harm in trying.. a spider will decide what and when it wants to drink. If it should work, then please feed this back to the forum.

Comment

Hi Nick, thanks for the reply,

Very good point with the age thing, and not one that I had thought of. But when I think about it she's only moulted once in the time I've had her, and that was about 18 months ago, so perhaps you're right.

Got home today, she was on her back again, placed her right side up, not looking good. I'll let you know if I try the water/lemon juice/sugar thing, but part of me is so loathe to disturb her now.

Thanks again, really appreciate it.

Comment

Just an update;

Still alive this morning, and upright. Cleaned out ICU, decided to try the water/lemon/sugar mix, but gave her a few of drops as per this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo885LhI4qo vid. I have never, ever handled any of my tarantulas and I'm not sure who was more nervous! I know it's the BTS's policy not to handle T's, but at the moment I'd happily do anything to try and save her. Needless to say she wasn't thrilled by the experience, legs and fangs wiggling like crazy, certaily didn't sit still like his did!

Anyway, will keep you posted as to how that works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Anita Pile View Post
              Just an update;

Still alive this morning, and upright. ...
              WE NEED PHOTOS! Several of the tarantula, especially of its front end from the front and/or side; one or two of its cage, especially of the furnishings and substrate; one or two of the ICU you're using.
              The Tarantula Whisperer!
              Stan Schultz
              Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
              Private messaging is turned OFF!
              Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Comment

Hi, sorry for not replying sooner. I tried taking pics on my mobile but they just didn't come out that well, and my partner has taken our good camera away with him on holiday so the earliest I could have posted pics on here was Friday evening. Sadly it seems that would have been too late for Daphne as she has just passed away.

I had been syringing her water and a couple of days ago was quite pleased with her progress, but she started to slip downhill again last night, and very rapidly this time .

Just wanted to thank you all for your advice and support, shame it didn't have a better outcome.

Comment

Working...
                X