How NOT to post a tarantula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How NOT to post a tarantula

I recently received a medium sized tarantula through the post.
    When I opened the box I was extremely surprised to see the total lack of packing in the box and around the spider itself.
    I fully expected to see a dead spider with a ruptured abdomen considering the lack of padding.
    Luckily the spider was OK and is now settling into its new home.

Everyone has their own methods and ideas on how to pack a tarantula (or any other invert) so I though that I would post a few photos showing how NOT to do it and then a few photo's showing how I do it.

I have removed any identifying markings off the packing box and changed the species of spider for one of my own to stop any amateur Sherlock Holmes wannabe's' trying to ID the sender.

This is the first view of the lack of packing in the box

Covering the cricket box was several layers of neatly folded toilet tissue

No packing around the edges of the cricket box.
    There was a few inches of open space surrounding the cricket box, there was nothing to cushion the spider against any knocks or bangs.

Showing the several layers of neatly folded toilet tissue that was on top of the cricket box

The same amount of tissue under the cricket box

Underneath the tissue was a slightly screwed up and folded carrier bag as added padding !!

Inside the cricket box was a cardboard tube from a toilet roll with a few sheets of tissue underneath it.

I have replaced the new posted spider with one of my own that is only slightly smaller that the spider that I received as mine is easier to handle while taking these photo's.

It is the policy of the BTS to NOT handle tarantulas.

This individual spider was chosen because of its calm nature and slow movements otherwise I would not have been able to take these photos showing my method of packing spiders (and how much space NOT to have)

Showing how much space the spider had to rattle about in while in the gentle hands of the post office.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ***************
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This is how I pack my Tarantulas when i post them out.

What I aim for is a space slightly larger than the spiders body so that it can crouch in the space provided with its legs close to its body

A 2-3ft length of toilet tissue is wrapped around 3 of my fingers.

Hoop of tissue in cricket box where the spider will eventually go.

A handful of screwed up tissue jammed in either end of the cricket box so that the 'hoop' is cushioned from any knocks or bangs

The tissue is sprayed so that it compacts slightly

Another 'hoop' of tissue is added because the space is too big for the spider.

A few sheets of screwed up tissue that will be used a 'lid' once the spider is inside the 'hoop'

Showing the size of the 'hoop' and the spider, a nice snug fit for the spiders size.

The spider is in the 'hoop' covered by a small lid just to show the amount of space that is needed.

The tissue 'lid' is placed over the spider, which is now crouched at the bottom of the 'hoop'

The cardboard box shown is too small to use with a cricket tub so I've swapped it for a more suitable sized tub
    (I did take photos with the original cardboard box and cricket tub but accidently deleted them while on the camera)

Screwed up newspapers first

Folded newspaper next

Tub added then screwed up newspaper is placed around the tub

A few inches left for more screwed up newspaper to be added on top of the spider tub

and done !!

The spider cannot be bounced around because there is no extra space for it to happen, the tub cannot be moved about because there is screwed up newspaper tightly wedged around it.
    The spider is now ready for posting
    Last edited by Peter Roach; 16-06-12, 01:44 AM.

Good thread Peter!

Comment

Excellent Peter, Im sure it will prove most useful to others.

Well done mate!

Ray
      British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
      The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
      On
      [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Hale View Post
        Excellent Peter, Im sure it will prove most useful to others.

Well done mate!

Ray
        There is a how to post article in our downloads section. It uses a technic perfected by Ian Wallace decades ago.
        Its always worth lookin at it can be download free in the download section. Granted does not have great picture like here..

However the technic is sound and works perfectly. Is exactly as above but using a poly bag to secure the spider further. Perhaps Peter if you
        can look at the file then add a polybag section we could promote this thread to article status..

Nice pictures and good thread nice one Peter.

Mark
        Last edited by Mark Pennell; 16-06-12, 10:10 AM.

------------------------------------------------------
        Serious Ink tattoo studio -
        Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Every time I go to the downloads section I get an error msg saying "invalid file ID"

How do I fix that?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Rawding
            Every time I go to the downloads section I get an error msg saying "invalid file ID"

How do I fix that?
            I'll look into it but it should be ok.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Rawding View Post

How do I fix that?
              I have checked the downloads all seem fine for me.. Certian files are restricted to certian usergroups. You may be trying to access restricted files. The how to post tarantulas file is not restricted to your user group.

Please tell which files you are trying to access

Regards
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Rawding View Post
                Every time I go to the downloads section I get an error msg saying "invalid file ID"How do I fix that?
                Mine does the same thing with any of the downloads.

Comment

Ruan
                  you must be logged in to download the files. I have checked the permissions and registered users can download certail files.
                  Other files are restricted to BTS Members and Theraphosid groups.

Mark

PS what browser you lot using? have you enabled cookies?

Comment

Working...
                  X