problem with moisture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with moisture

I have recently changed my ts substrate and container. i changed the substrate to half peat and half compost . I follewed instructions from the tarantula keepers guide and squeede access water from substrate first. i have lots of small holes in the lid and also holes on every side of the tub but every day im finding lots of condensation on the inside of the lid and on the sides i take off the lid and dry it and also try and dry the sides my b.smithi spiderling seems fine and has molted since the change of substrate and has started eating i was just worried about the chances of getting mold or mite infestation in the tub. any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Originally posted by sean grey View Post
    I have recently changed my ts substrate and container. i changed the substrate to half peat and half compost . I follewed instructions from the tarantula keepers guide and squeede access water from substrate first. i have lots of small holes in the lid and also holes on every side of the tub but every day im finding lots of condensation on the inside of the lid and on the sides i take off the lid and dry it and also try and dry the sides my b.smithi spiderling seems fine and has molted since the change of substrate and has started eating i was just worried about the chances of getting mold or mite infestation in the tub. any advice would be gratefully recieved.

B. smithi? How big (DLS)?

Depending on the size of the tarantula, make more/bigger ventilation holes. Or, mix up another batch of your substrate and dry it out outside the tub following the instructions in Substrate, then switch the dry substrate for the damp substrate.

Why are you trying to use a mixture? Is there some property you're specifically aiming for? B. smithi is a really hardy, pretty much bulletproof species. There's really no reason why you need to go through that ordeal. The reason we keep tarantulas is that they normally DON'T require a lot of special fussing and pampering, in spite of the little fetishes that enthusiasts seem to insist on!

Instead, because they require so little care, we collect dozens or hundreds! Has no one told you?

THE TARANTULA KEEPER'S LAMENT

Like those potato chips,

you can't have just one!

You've been warned!

(And, we offer a tip of the ol' hat and our profound thanks to the Frito-Lay Company for institutionalizing the progenitor of this little joke.)

The Tarantula Whisperer!
    Stan Schultz
    Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
    Private messaging is turned OFF!
    Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Comment

Hi stan its the same t as in the post smithi b not eating i took your advice and changed the substrate i also took other advice an tried a mixture. i will try and dry some outside first.

Comment

Originally posted by sean grey View Post
        Hi stan its the same t as in the post smithi b not eating i took your advice and changed the substrate i also took other advice an tried a mixture. i will try and dry some outside first.
        Okay. You had me going in circles there for a moment! Let us know how it tuns out.
        The Tarantula Whisperer!
        Stan Schultz
        Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
        Private messaging is turned OFF!
        Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Comment

When Ive been in this situation before Ive placed newspaper within the enclosure for a few hours to soak up excess moisture or placed very dry substrate on top. It sounds as if your substrate still has too much moisture but it will dry out.
          My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

For higher humidity I use a 2" layer of sophisticat pink (non clumping) cat litter in the bottom of the tank underneath the substrate. This wicks up any excess water whilst allowing air flow and releasing moisture ot dry air. You need to be careful though as many other cat litters are completely different and wont work (this stuff works great as a houseplant substrate as well!)
            See my new blog about Bristol's bug life: Bristol Loves Bugs

Comment

Working...
            X