Feeding Grammastola pulchra sling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding Grammastola pulchra sling

I have a Grammastola pulchra (1.75-2inch). When I got him I was advised to him every other day. He will quite happily collect three 'size 2' crickets in one go and munch on them - a bit like a cricket buffet.

The only thing is, his abdomen grown absolutely huge. Is it possible to overfeed him?

Just out of curiosity, would he be classed as a sling still - or a Juvenile?

Lastly, I use a bottle cap in his Viv, with Bug Gel, and also lightly mist one corner of his Viv every week of so - is this satisfactory?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Hi William, welcome to the forum!

Yes, it certainly is possible to overfeed a spider and 3 size 2 crickets every other day would do that. For a spider that size I would recommend going for slightly larger crickets and feeding a couple once a week maximum. A couple a fortnight would be more than enough. A general rule to follow is that the abdomen should be a similar or slightly larger size than the carapace.

I wouldn't bother to waste your money on that bug gel stuff. Water is free and the spider can drink it very easily and, no it won't drown

Large spiderling or small juvenile? I don't suppose it really matters so call it whatever you like lol.
    www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

VERY VERY IMPORTANT. . . . . TAKE OUT THE BUG GEL ! ! !
      Tarantulas can NOT eat the bug gel. A small waterbowl or jar lid will do fine filled with fresh water.
      Misting does nothing apart from wetting the top 1-2mm of substrate and annoying the spider, all that is needed is to overfill the waterbowl slightly once a week so that there is a small damp area in one corner of the container.
      If the spider is a fat as you say, stop feeding it until it moults. This may take a few weeks or several months, as long as there is fresh water available your spider can easily survive for over a year without food. Once it has moulted, one or two crickets the size of its abdomen per week will do it fine.

Comment

Craig
        Thank you for the reply. I will take out the bug gel, and replace with water. Thanks for the feeding advice.
        Regards
        Will

Comment

Peter,
          Thank you for replying. I will take out the Bug Gel now. How annoying that I was advised to use it, from the shop where I got my G.pulchra.
          If replacing with a waterbowl, would the plastic screw top off of a milk carton suffice? And can I keep the Bug Gel for crickets?
          Will also stop feeding Shadow. (Just for the record - I got him on 25th May, & there was an Exuvium in with him, although the shop could not confirm when this moult took place. He moulted again on the 16th June. How often do they tend to moult when young, As I was told they grow quite quick up to around 4 inches, & then start to slow down).
          Again many thanks, any advice is greatly appreciated.
          Regards
          Will

Comment

Originally posted by William Gingell View Post
            I will take out the Bug Gel now. How annoying that I was advised to use it, from the shop where I got my G.pulchra.
            Of course they recommended you to buy some bug gel . . more ££ for them. Most pet shop employee's shouldnt be allowed to keep a pet brick let alone advise people how to keep animals.

If replacing with a waterbowl, would the plastic screw top off of a milk carton suffice?
            And can I keep the Bug Gel for crickets?
            Yes and yes

How often do they tend to moult when young,
            How long is a piece of string ? Much depends on the species, temperature, frequency of feeding etc but every 1-3 months would be a very rough guide for slings and juv's

As I was told they grow quite quick up to around 4 inches,
            Feeding every other day will make them grow quickly especially combined with high temperatures, this is generally called 'Power Feeding' and is suspected to shorty the spiders life in the long term so is not recommended.

Comment

Working...
            X