Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can tarantulas ingest vermiculite?

Hi everyone,

I recently read 'Tarantulas & Scorpions in Captivity' by Russ Gurley. I bought it about a year ago, but never got round to reading it. I took a lengthy coach trip over the weekend and I read it from cover to cover.

Under the section 'Substrates' the book states,

"There is some concern about tarantulas ingesting sand as they feed on crickets or small mice that wander their enclosure. We are not overly concerned and we feel that healthy spiders will simply pass these small amounts of sand with their feces. This ingestion of soil no doubt occurs in nature and seems to cause little or no problems. We do not use vermiculite as a substrate because it sticks to spiders and can swell if ingested, causing impaction and death".

Is this true? I have been using vermiculite for 3 years and deaths in my collection rarely happen. Can anyone confirm or dismiss this statement?

Jamie
    My Collection:

Although I have never used vermiculite I have to admit I have never heard of deaths from using it. It may well of occured but if so it would be difficult to confirm the cause of death without disection. I know many keepers use it and they may well have some better information.

Cheers

Ray
    British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
    The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
    On
    [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

A tarantulas are basically filter feeders I cant see it happening, in fact I dont think it can happen due to the way they feed. (in my humble opinion LOL)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
        A tarantulas are basically filter feeders I cant see it happening, in fact I dont think it can happen due to the way they feed. (in my humble opinion LOL)
        That's exactly what I thought. In all the articles and books I have read over the last 3 years, this is the first time I have read this. I'm a little skeptical.

Originally posted by Ray Hale View Post
        Although I have never used vermiculite I have to admit I have never heard of deaths from using it. It may well of occured but if so it would be difficult to confirm the cause of death without disection. I know many keepers use it and they may well have some better information.

Cheers

Ray
        Thanks for the input Ray. Out of interest, what substrates do you use and why don't you use vermiculite?

Jamie
        My Collection:

Comment

I've used vermiculite for years and never had a problem.

Comment

I can't see sand being a problem either. Sounds like the author is taking the valid concerns about captive reptiles ingesting their substrate and applying it to spiders.

Comment

don't the sand will go off while they brooming themself?
              my spiders gallery in deviant art: http://teru-shinju.deviantart.com/

Comment

Working...
              X