B Smithi sling feeding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B Smithi sling feeding.

Hello everyone.I bought my second T yesterday.A B Smithi sling.He's just less than a centimetre,and I was just wondering what the best,and safest thing to feed him is?My G.Pulchripes sling was around 2 cm when i bought her,so she was straight on to small crickets,but this is a little different.Any help would be very much appreciated as always.Thank you.

No 2 or 3 cricket, crush the head and leave overnight.

Comment

Brilliant !! Thank you once again Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Welsh View Post
        Hello everyone.I bought my second T yesterday.A B Smithi sling.He's just less than a centimetre,and I was just wondering what the best,and safest thing to feed him is?My G.Pulchripes sling was around 2 cm when i bought her,so she was straight on to small crickets,but this is a little different.Any help would be very much appreciated as always.Thank you.
        Your tarantula came straight from the factory as an inveterate carnivore. In its world, it's the equivalent of what a Velociraptor would be in ours. If you show a little common sense and restraint you should have no trouble feeding it.

Use crickets or roaches that are slightly smaller than the tarantula's abdomen. For now, feed three or four a week. As it grows so will the size of its food. When it reaches adult size you can ramp its feeding down to one (1) or two (2) adult crickets a week, or 4 to 10 a month. You can prorate their feeding to fit your schedule, feeding them all the food at once or rationing the prey out a few at a time. Tarantulas are made to be able to withstand moderately long fasts, so feeding it once a month is okay if necessary, though perhaps not optimal. Just don't feed it more than an average of one (1) or two (2) adult crickets a week or the equivalent as an adult.

Enjoy your little 8-legged primeval terror!
        The Tarantula Whisperer!
        Stan Schultz
        Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
        Private messaging is turned OFF!
        Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Comment

Hi Stan.Thank you for your wisdom.It is greatly appreciated.Can I just say that I purchased your fantastic book,which was a great companion on my recent camping trip with my family.The reason my second T was a B Smithi,was due to the pic on the front of your book.My 4 year old son is also fascinated by Ts,and asked me to get "One like that in the book !! " I hope I got it right !! Cheers Stan.All the very best.Kindest regards.Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
            No 2 or 3 cricket, crush the head and leave overnight.
            Forgot to add. . . . . When the sling reaches around 2cm maggots make a very good nutritious (and cheap) food source

Old and bad pic of B smithi sling having a tussle with lunch

A. Geniculata sling enjoying lunch

Even the larger juvies like them

Comment

Thank you Peter

Comment

Working...
              X