Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poecilotheria slings being wierd - losing control of their limbs

Hi all,

I have had a delivery of two poecilotheria spiderlings from a breeder whom I shan't name.

The P.metallica has developed some kind of (what appears to be) neurological issue which has resulted in loss of control of the limbs (the word breakdancing comes to mind). This happened within 1 month of delivery. The only thing that I can imagine that I've done to possibly cause this was to leave the substrate quite damp and not enough ventilation holes for the two weeks immediately after delivery, when I went on holiday and housed the Ts in a rushed manner. This sling murdered a cricket and a dubia when it first arrived.

The P.striata appears to be heading down the same path now...exhibiting superfluous movement whilst getting about its enclosure...

Is it likely to be a pathogen of some sort, or is it possible that it is congenital?

In my mind, 3 possible explanations:

1. it is congenital and said breeder has poor breeding stock (unlikely for two different species to go down the same route, but nothing is impossible)
    2. it is developmental and said breeder has some wierd incubation conditions which are resulting in these issues.
    3. it is bacterial or viral, and I need to euthanise the affected Ts ASAP to stop the spread.

What do you think?

could they have been exposed to any chemicals?
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
      could they have been exposed to any chemicals?
      None that I know of.

I've been speaking about this with someone rather knowledgeable and they reckon that it's a fungal infection. Apparently a lot of food is contaminated with it, as well as possibly other Ts who can live with it...

Comment

Steve Dye once mentioned a lack of oxygen being a contributory factor in issues with Ts but of course its difficult to know exactly what it might be.
        My first port of call would be to contact the seller to see if there are any other issues similar to those you mention.
        I'm going to guess, considering I have a good inclination as to who this is, that there's no other issues with existing stock. Infact if its the same person the 2 P. metallica that I have have shown no similar instances. I fed them last night, they're looking good.

Considering you have had these for 1 month I'd suggest the issues lie with your own husbandry unfortunately. Neither of these species come from damp areas, more likely dry rainforest tbh. My first step would be to rehouse them in off-dry very well ventilated tubs, the size of a small jam jar with an inch of substrate and a dark retreat created by bark/bamboo/tubing. Try feeding on small crickets and keep temperatures around 75F. I'd also suggest a honey or sugar solution water bowl.

External issues might be sprays, fumes or flea treatments. Do you have cats or dogs in the house that you treat with Frontline. If so you should make sure this is drops rather than powders and you should be conscious of any contact with these animals and your Ts/food items for the first 3 days.
        My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Thanks for your reply Peter.

You raise some very interesting points.

I have been communicating with the seller - and all is being handled perfectly well, no complaints there.

They are already in dry-ish conditions, I shall keep trying to help the poor metallica.

Didn't think of sugar water - shall try this. Small prey sound like a good idea too.

There are cats in the house, and there is frontline in the house, but the cats have been residing with relatives since a few days of the metallica's arrival... but I shall be ever vigilant against all treatments in the future. I have already been sensible to an extent, my wife bought some flea spray and it has remained unused basically, as I feared for the tarantulas' welfare...

Comment

Working...
          X