Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cyriopagopus sp. "Sulawesi Black" proposed new enclosure too big?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyriopagopus sp. "Sulawesi Black" proposed new enclosure too big?

Hello, I have a sulawesi black T, its just about still a spiderling (4cm legspan) and up till now its lived in a jar which is about 13cm deep and 7.5cm wide. I've just been given a new 30X30cm (and 30cm high) enclosure to move it into and I'm wondering if for any reason this is too big considering the size of the sling? If it is too big, what are the reasons for this? What are the dangers of keeping it in an enclosure this size?

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Cheers

Hi,
    Wouldn't say theres any dangers in keeping a small spider in a big enclosure, but once its settled in, it will likely make its burrow in one corner & never use the rest of the enclosure, so just a waste of space, smaller enclosure = more room for another one, = win

Comment

Originally posted by Yurgov Petrov View Post
      Hello, I have a sulawesi black T, its just about still a spiderling (4cm legspan) and up till now its lived in a jar which is about 13cm deep and 7.5cm wide.
      This sounds exactly the right size of container for the sling . . for the next 6 months at least.

I've just been given a new 30X30cm (and 30cm high) enclosure to move it into

This size and shape enclosure isnt exactly the best for a large arboreal tarantula. . . especially the height.
      This species can get a leg span of 10-11 inches so a tank of 12 inches minus approx 2 inches of substrate = 10 inches.
      I would suggest that this small tank would be OK while it is a large juvie (4-6 inches) but after that a larger tank would definitely needed.
      Exo-terra's 30cm x 30cm x 40cm is an ideal size for adults of this species.

I'm wondering if for any reason this is too big considering the size of the sling?

If it is too big, what are the reasons for this?
      If you put such a small sling in such a large container (relatively) it may and probably will have problems finding the crickets etc.
      You would also have problems finding it as well !!

If the sling is kept in the original size container is can and will find it prey much easier and will therefore grow quicker so it can be moved into a larger show type container quicker.

What are the dangers of keeping it in an enclosure this size?
      No dangers as such, its just not practical. well to me at least.

Last weekend I moved 5 x Cyriopagopus sp. 'Sumatran Tiger' and 3 x Phormingochilus everetti, all around 3 inches from containers about the size you have your small sling in.
      I only moved them into larger containers (33cm x 15cm x 13cm) because I needed their tubs for other slings that had outgrown their tubs otherwise they would have stayed in the smaller containers for another moult or two before I moved them.
      I moved them into >>> THESE <<<

Comment

Working...
      X