Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monocentropus Balfouri sling help please !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monocentropus Balfouri sling help please !

Hello everyone.I'll get straight to the point.I have a Monocentropus Balfouri sling around 1.5cm which I purchased from Lee at thespidershop ( Highly recommended ) around 6 weeks ago.The problem I have is that the sling seems to be happy,as it has burrowed itself a little home in the substrate with webbing etc,but it doesn't surface at all.When I first got it,I left it for a few days,then tried it with a baby cricket with it's head pinched ( The cricket's head pinched...not the sling's ).It wasn't interested.So,I assumed a moult was imminent.Since then,it has burrowed,so I left it,until last night.I placed a little live cricket in the tub,and when the cricket got close enough to the sling's burrow,the sling's front legs appeared briefly in a fast and extremely defensive manner,warning the cricket off,but not attempting to eat it.I immediately removed the cricket from the sling's tub,fearing still that moult may be close.With all this in mind...How do I know what the Hell is going on with the sling if it's hiding??I know the MBs are pretty shy and defensive,but I don't want to be sending prey in there with it,if it might be moulting.Thank you all in advance.Kind regards.Paul.

Sounds very normal behavior for a balfouri to me.
    They dont eat a lot and you will rarely if ever see it.
    Put a head crushed cricket that is approx 1/2 its size outsife the entrance to its burrow 2-3 times a month.
    Welcome to the world of empty pots of dirt ! ! !
    Last edited by Peter Roach; 09-11-12, 01:48 PM.

Comment

LOL !!! Cheers Peter. I feel like I've bought a brand new Ferrari,without reading the small print which states that it is contained in a concrete safe house,with no possible means of entry !! Oh well.

Comment

I have 4 M. balfouri slings (LS: 4-5cm) and they have all been given same enclosure and set-up. Though they tend to behave quite differently. One is very active and is out in the open from dusk till dawn. Another one is normally only showing the first part of the body at the opening of the tunnel. And the remaing two spiders are never to be seen outside the tunnel. One of them sealed its tunnel 1 month ago but is apparently in excellent condition (visible through the bottom of the enclosure).

Comment

Cheers Dan.I guess I got a shy one.

Comment

WHOO HOOOO !!!! Sorry...Just thought I'd say that my M.Balfouri has appeared this evening,and looking GREAT !!! Thanks again for the replies. PHEW

Comment

Working...
            X