Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chile Rose Male is having a bad molt - Help needed

Hi

My male chile rose has suddenly decided to molt 18 months after we purchased him. He is definitely male. I understand that mature males struggle with their molts. He has been on his back for 24 hours and I had to last night gentle move him away from the side of his enclosure because he couldn't get enough space to free his legs. I have upped the humidity in his house to try and help him as it seems he still has two legs stuck. Any advice would be great as I'm not sure how long I should leave him like this. Also, what should I do if I need to help him? Thank you.

Hi,
    You say he still has two legs stuck, i presume these are his front two with his tibial hooks on, this is what usually happens to mature males when they try to moult, never had it happen to any of my males, so can't really offer you any help, but don't think many will pull through the process,.
    Just a thought but can you snip away the exo from around his hooks, & see how things go from there,? it would be as a last thing, but at least you would have had a go at saving him,..
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do,..

Comment

Sadly he died yesterday morning We helped him as much as we could but he had already lost a pedipalp and one of his legs and he just had a rough time of it. Thank you again for your help and taking time out of your day to respond to me.

Comment

Hi Emma,
        That's sad news, but pretty much as expected,.
        The good news is, you now have an empty enclosure to fill, any thoughts as to what you might put in there,?

Comment

Working...
        X