Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What mite is this? (Mite photo under microscop)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What mite is this? (Mite photo under microscop)

I have a Selenocosmia Javanensis for 2 years, a female. I know since the beginning this female have mites on it. I wait until it becomes adult to remove it.

I receive this tarantula since it's still in egg sac. there's no mites at all outside the eggsac. However, when I pull them out, there are little tarantulas with mites on them. she grow up fine, with the mites on her. however, she's small compare to her mother (perhaps because lack of food variants).

She required high humidity so I don't think I can dry the cage. I want to know what mite I deal with? is it beneficial or is it harmful (sucking the T, etc)? I find the mites on the soft body part, like between abdomen and carapace or between legs.

And here's what i find on microskop zoom 100x, however the photo is not really good- I used my blackberry):

Click image for larger version

Name:	mite on S. Java 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	96388 Click image for larger version

Name:	mite on S. Java 2.jpg
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	96389
    my spiders gallery in deviant art: http://teru-shinju.deviantart.com/

Originally posted by the ming cu View Post
    I have a Selenocosmia Javanensis for 2 years, a female. I know since the beginning this female have mites on it. I wait until it becomes adult to remove it.

I receive this tarantula since it's still in egg sac. there's no mites at all outside the eggsac. However, when I pull them out, there are little tarantulas with mites on them. she grow up fine, with the mites on her. however, she's small compare to her mother (perhaps because lack of food variants).

She required high humidity so I don't think I can dry the cage. I want to know what mite I deal with? is it beneficial or is it harmful (sucking the T, etc)? I find the mites on the soft body part, like between abdomen and carapace or between legs.

And here's what i find on microskop zoom 100x, however the photo is not really good- I used my blackberry):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3569[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]3570[/ATTACH]
    I found something similar in one of my Haplopelma lividum tanks once. I managed to capture one and trapped it in a vial. It died a few days later allowing me to put it under a microscope just like you did. Our photo's are very similar, but I'm not convinced they are the same thing. Mine did not attach themselves to the spider. They seemed quite happy to roam the substrate and didn't appear to threaten the health of my spider at all. Despite that I decided to give her tank a thorough clean. I have since see these appear again in another tank and again I cleaned it out.

The first pic is taken from above, the second from below.

Name:	mite x 80 .jpg
Views:	2
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	94369Click image for larger version

Name:	mite x 80 underside.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	94370

Having not been in your situation I don't know what to advise so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Jamie
    My Collection:

Comment

I think it's a different mite. Mine similar to the form of h. miles but it is not living in the soil but in the body of the T. the color is clearly different from h. miles. and I think what's inside it's stomach is different too... mine have a black spot in the stomach.Anybody in mite expertise? I would be happy to know what kind of mite is this, parasitic or just cleaning the tank? I receive another tarantulas (slings) with case similarity today (mite since egg sac), but the color of the mite is different, some are brown some are light yellow like in the picture. I will post it once I have another picture.

Comment

[QUOTE=the ming cu;59479 I would be happy to know what kind of mite is this, parasitic or just cleaning the tank?[/QUOTE]

I doubt very much that they are doing you any kind of service. Whether or not they are parasitic would be my only concern. I'm sure someone more experienced will be able to help you.

Jamie
        My Collection:

Comment

Name:	Bojongloa Kaler-20121115-00131.jpg
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	94371 this is another mite on the tarantula body I got today. this is a live mite.

Name:	Bojongloa Kaler-20121115-00133.jpg
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	94372 This is another mite I get, this one have some kind of membrane or something covering the body very clearly.

Comment

Working...
          X