Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plants in tarantula tanks

Hello all,

I am planning to refurbish my T tanks as they have not been changed in a while and look a mess. Right now they are all very basic - substrate, hide and waterdish, and I will keep most of them that way, but I was thinking for my two adult female Ts I might try and make their tanks a bit more decorative.

I would like to use some real plants, and wondered if anybody else had done this, and if so what types of plant do you think would be best?

I was considering spider plants, because I know they are hardy and don't require bright light and I like how they look. But maybe there are other types that could work? Ideally it would be something slow growing which does well in shade.

If it doesn't work out I will just get some good quality silk plants - am not a fan of the plastic leaves you get from the pet shops. But I would appreciate any ideas on how I could make real ones work.

Thanks!

If the plant has enough light and water then there is no reason why it shouldnt work.

Have you though of the effects of webbing covering the plants or the tarantulas digging under the plant or covering it over with soil ?

For some inspiration, check >>> HERE <<<
    Last edited by Peter Roach; 25-11-12, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that link, Peter. Those tanks look really impressive. Very inspirational.

The two spiders I am planning to give 'tarted up' tanks to are a G. pulchra and G. rosea, both fairly light webbers so I do not think they will web on the plants much. I would like to create a semi-desert / scrubland look for the rosea, maybe something a bit greener but still fairly dry for the pulchra. I am thinking air plants, small cacti (not too spikey of course), and/or spider plants.

I wonder what he used for the substrate in most of the tanks in that video. It looks like quite a clay-rich soil.

Lots to think about anyway. I am still using cheap plastic tanks while I save up for some nice glass or acrylic replacements, so I have time to experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Kate Arbon View Post

I wonder what he used for the substrate in most of the tanks in that video. It looks like quite a clay-rich soil.
        The only thing I can suggest is to use Google translator on some of the German forums to find out what mix of substrates is best (you have absolutely no chance on any UK or Us forums that I know of)
        I have Googled and translated a few of the German forums myself and found that there is generally a separate section for terrariums and plants etc.

Comment

Working...
        X