Acanthoscurria geniculata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acanthoscurria geniculata

Ok, so I am really intrigued by this species. I think they look awesome, but is anyone able to give some advice on their temperament and difficulty to look after. I have read care sheets all over the internet ranging from it being a great starter T to being really aggressive and only the experienced should have them. The only thing that they all seem to agree with is that they have a massive appetite which I would love to see. Some sheets say they are calm and docile, others say that they are very skittish and will attack anything in sight. Is this due to a mix up with the 2 similar looking species? What are people's opinions in general of this type?
    http://spidersammy.blogspot.co.uk/

As you will find out every spider has its own 'temperament' but in general, genics are total gut buckets that can be a bit nervous and flicky.

Genics can make a good starter tarantula as they . . .

1) rarely refuse food (except while in premoult)
    2) are almost always out on show
    3) can grow a decent size as adults (7-8 inches)
    4) are cheap to buy as slings and juvies

5) They are NOT a species that is usually handled due to their aggressive/nervous response to being disturbed (you have been warned)
    Last edited by Peter Roach; 20-12-12, 10:35 PM.

Comment

The comments are often based on the level of experience people have. In comparison to G. rosea these are going to seem more aggressive but in comparison to the Old World species these are going to be quite placid. As most people start with the New World species of Brachypelma, Grammostola and Aphonopelma its a bit of a jump to get A. geniculata as these can be very fast at ambush, will take numerous prey and grow to quite a large size, in bulk and legspan. However I'd strongly suggest, even to a beginner that this species is very worth considering as a first tarantula and will probably become one of your favoured species. Alongside C. cyaneopubescens I have these as my favourite terrestrial tarantula. They have a striking pattern on the legs along with red setae on the abdomen. Ive never seen a threat pose from any of them, and I currently have about 12 of them, ranging from 1" to 7".
      They are very hardy, easy to keep, rarely refuse food and are an absolute pleasure to see strolling across the grass in the summer months.
      I can't recommend them enough!
      My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Someone needs to tell my A. genic sling that they are suppsed to be good eaters because it hasn't taken a bite since I've had it.

Comment

A geniculata was our first T. They are lovely species, striking patterning, fast growing, large and active. I don't think of them as being particularly defensive but they will treat anything that moves as food, often pouncing on the water dish when it's being filled. They will kick hairs. I'd recommend them to anyone wanting a good easy display species.

Comment

Mine just passed away. I was just looking forward to see her stroll across the grass in the summer months.

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I agree. Stunning looking T. My juvenile attacks with gusto any locust dropped in its enclosure. It has been fairly calm and industrious in digging some nice tunnels under the substrate. Bearing in mind it's apparent endless appetite I'm hoping one locust a week is not excessive. Looking to get some more as they are a pleasure to watch.

Comment

Another new owner here, still just a spiderling. I am looking forward to learning what I can to make it not just an existance but a rewarding life for my A.Gen.

Comment

Originally posted by traceygilbertson View Post
                  Another new owner here, still just a spiderling. I am looking forward to learning what I can to make it not just an existance but a rewarding life for my A.Gen.
                  Food, water and some heating if needed. That's it.

Do not confuse a Tarantulas needs with a mammals.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, any advice is always good. Have got my basics covered, did some research before I decided to make addition to household, having waited for years for my own child to be old enough. So again any advice always welcome.

Comment

Genics are one of the easiest species to keep (I have 80+)
                      All they need is a slightly damp substrate as slings, a cricket or cockroach approx 1/2 to 3/4 their body size once a week. If the genic doesnt grab its prey within a minute, take it out and try again in 7-10 days. Normally the only reason why a genic will refuse its food is because it is in premoult.
                      Other that that, its easy peasy

Comment

Re: Acanthoscurria geniculata

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
                        All they need is a slightly damp substrate as slings, a cricket or cockroach approx 1/2 to 3/4 their body size once a week. If the genic doesnt grab its prey within a minute, take it out and try again in 7-10 days. Normally the only reason why a genic will refuse its food is because it is in premoult.
                        Yeah genics are pigs with food..but good fun.. Pete Lacey was kind enough to loan he's big female and I got mine ( a female ) and she is great to watch..

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
                          My Genic arrived last Tuesday and it has built a bloody great wall in front of it's hide. It is completely shut off. It is 6cm and is not interested in food. Being a Newb keeper, and still yet to have a moult with my 1st (Albop 3inch), is this a sign of pre-moult?

Comment

Yep, that certainly is the most common sign of a T in premoult.

Comment

It's now in it's 7th day of hiding :S I haven't disturbed him, I have just left him be.

Comment

Working...
                              X