Sorry to ask - Euathlus sp. "Green"/"Blue" differentiation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry to ask - Euathlus sp. "Green"/"Blue" differentiation

Hi - I was wondering if anyone could throw me some pointers on how to differentiate between a Euathlus sp. "Blue" and a Euathlus sp. "Green"?

I bought a SA (unsexed) a couple of weeks ago who is in premoult (I'm hoping the moult might help me work out what "he" is in more ways than one!). "He" was sold to his previous owner as a blue, but the man I bought him off thought he looked too green. Now I have read that some blues do have a habit of moulting into green colouration, but I wanted to ensure I knew what "he" was before I consider potentially having a go at breeding in future.

I posted on Arachnoboards for a bit more information on differentiation between sp. "Green" and sp. "Blue", but instead have been told he is possibly a Thrixopelma pruriens (apparently not "fluffy" enough to be Euathlus) or a Paraphysa. To my knowledge these are not likely options, but I am a novice and keen to get others' opinions. Anyway, I hadn't gone looking for an ID as such, and ended up hearing "he" is neither a green nor a blue! That said, this has been guessed at by photos, which is dodgey ground, and this spider is in premoult, which makes things harder. In fact I think him being in premoult may be what threw the previous owner off, as he has the typical dull brownish look to him. In the meantime I am going to try and find out more history on where this spider originated from.

Also I am looking for information, just out of curiosity, to see what the rough size these mature into hooked out males. I'm not really asking out of anything other than placing a bet with myself over what gender "he" turns out to be. "He" is 4.25" DLS unstretched. This alone to me rules out Paraphysa species unless he turns out to be a "mega parvula" or something

Incidentally, I am changing his housing as he arrived in this setup and for the life of me I can't work out where the humidity is coming from. It has good aeration and I haven't been spraying. I am going to have to sort out and dry out a brick of coir in the morning!
    Last edited by Kathy Akrigg; 31-12-12, 06:46 PM.

A bit of an update, this spider has moulted now (confirmed female) and looks more like a Thrixopelma sp. from what others are telling me. If anyone can ID from a moult, please let me know!

Comment

Hi kathy cannot do the drop box thing security on computer wont let me can you post pics please

Ray

Comment

My browser wont load drop box either.

Comment

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Sorry it's because I've been posting from the mobile, hope they work.

Comment

Working...
          X