Nhandu coloratovillosus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nhandu coloratovillosus

I'm new to the world of keeping tarantulas, and having read around extensively, decided to go the the invictus arachnid meeting last Sunday. Having compiled a list of suitable starter t's, I went wildly off piste and fell in love with Nhandu coloratovillosus. It seems very happy, settled in quickly and has started digging under the cork bark. I'm concerned about feeding though, he (no evidence, but I can't just call him it) he tries to grab anything that moves specifically, tweezers changing the water, he's about three inches across, should he be fed more than once a week? And will it damage him either way?

Any input will be appreciated, even if it's just to tell me I'm a plank!

Sophie.

It is possible that you may have bought it from me at SEAS. (first hall in the corner, suffering from a hangover )

This species is basically a gut bucket . . if it moves . . eat it LOL
    None of my collection is fed more than once a week, many of them usually once every 3-4 weeks.
    However there is nothing stopping you from feeding it a few times a week if you want. I have read that if a tarantula is 'power fed' (fed several times per week) then this may possibly shorten their lives.
    I cant see any reason why you cant or shouldnt feed it as often as you want until it is adult and then slow down to once or twice a month.

Comment

I think I may of done, I spent a long time faffing and deciding. I had the long suffering boyfriend in tow! Thanks for that I think I'll stick to once weekly, if that's roughly what he's been used too! Do you mist them at all! Xoxox

Comment

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but I try to keep the abdomen about the same size, maybe a bit bigger, than the carapace. I tend to feed mine on Sundays, although my smithi has never eaten since I bought her on Dec 10th .

Misting the sides is generally futile, it will evaporate very quickly. Wetting a portion of the substrate is probably a better option, how much depends on the humidity needed and how much ventilation is in the enclosure. A water dish is going to be the main source of humidity though.

Last edited by Arron Hooks; 31-01-13, 02:36 PM.
        0.1.0 Brachypelma smithi (annitha?)
        0.1.0 Chromatopelma cyanopubescens

Comment

Originally posted by Sophie hogan View Post
          Do you mist them at all! Xoxox
          Nope, I just squirt some water into one corner via a syringe. Keep one end of the tub damp and the other end dry... ignore the middle bit LOL

Comment

Thanks for all your help, my little boy having his first moult. I did think he was dead, fortunately decided to go for a smoke before burying him in the garden, came back to find him half out of his legs. It's really quite awful, especially as he's decided to do it in full view, typical boy! Any advice for post moult care? It looks frankly horrendous, should I change the substrate or just leave him? I swear, there is nothing in books that settles my mind! Xoxox

Comment

I did think he was dead
              Tarantulas always moult on their back (99.9% of the time anyway) and they usually die the right way up with their legs curled under them (the dreaded death curl)

Any advice for post moult care?
              Make sure that there is fresh water available and leave it alone for AT LEAST a week.
              The bigger it gets the longer you should leave it alone to let the new skin and fangs harden up.
              I wouldnt feed it for at least 7-10 days after the moult. If it doesnt immediately grab the food after this time, take it out and try again in another week

It looks frankly horrendous
              What does ?

should I change the substrate
              Whats wrong with the substrate ?
              The only time I change the substrate is when I move a T to a larger tub then I just tip in the old and add some new. . .simples.

If you really really have to, you can think about changing the substrate in about 4-5 years time.
              When you do a weekly tidy up and remove the food bolus (insect remains) then there is no need to change the substrate for many many years.

Comment

He did look rather relaxed on his back it must be said! Please forgive me for being a dribbler, I've found that some of the literature is conflicting, and makes me worry rather than sets my mind at rest. Thank you! He's very handsome, when he comes out and about properly I shall take a picture!

Comment

Working...
                X