Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suitable "step-up" tarantula?

Hi!!!

Just got permission to own a second tarantula! I'm expanding my collection from one to two!

At present I own a B. smithii with a legspan of 5.5inches, who goes by the name of Psychosis.

In the past I have owned B. albopilosum and G.rosea's (one of which was extremely aggressive).
    My darling little Psychosis was also extremely skittish when i first got her.

My question's are:

1/. Psychosis (my B.smithii, if anyone is confused to why i keep mentioning the name) is currently in a large tank about 15inches by 10. Would it be alright to move her into a tank about 10 by 8 so I can have enough room on her stand for the 2nd tarantula (which will be living in an identical tank)?

2/. Given the species I have already had experience with, what would be a suitable "step-up" tarantula? I would be aiming for a second terrestrial species, as I don't want the two tanks to be of different sizes, to avoid clashing in my decor, and I'm buying the tank on a budget and tanks with height greater than width are often more expensive....!!

Any advice/ opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    HitokiriSessha

Would it be alright to move her into a tank about 10 by 8 so I can have enough room on her stand for the 2nd tarantula (which will be living in an identical tank)?
    Simple anser - yes. 10" x 8" is large enough for an adult B. smithi.

Given the species I have already had experience with, what would be a suitable "step-up" tarantula?
    There's a lot that fit into this category but A. geniculata is an ideal spider IMO, great looking, relatively active and a voracious feeder, it will be a slight step up in experience level also. They can be nervous and this will get you used to dealing with a more active species.
    Guy...
    www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Guy isn't joking when he says that the genics are good feeders. They will eat everything they come across. Mine even attacks the water dish as i fill it, in case it might be crickets.

Here's a pic of my subadult female. About 6 years old at the moment.

And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

Working...
      X