Ceratogyrus marshalli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceratogyrus marshalli

Hi all, am I right in understanding that the females only possess the horn in the later stages of developement, or do the males also? Is the whole male with no horn a myth?

Is it best to sex the conventional way by examining the underside of the tarantula itself, in the same way a New World Tarantula would be checked?

Any info/experiences would be great.

Picked one up today and it moulted this evening! It is currently resting post moult.

Cheers

Tim

Read this -
    It's old, you've all seen it before but just for Stuart so he can link to the BTS web site now. The only real accurate way to sex a tarantula is by examining the epigynal area located between the anterior book lungs of the tarantulas shed skin but to do this you must first know what you are looking for. http://i53.photobucket

Now go look at that skin.
    Put your arms around me
    Fiddly digits, itchy britches
    I love you all

Comment

Cheers Craig, will try and have a crack at that later today. I know it is the only sure fire way of sexing T's, I have sexed a few just by examining the undersides on live specimens before but that is a lot easier with new world terrestrial T's. When I checked it out yesterday it looked female from the underside but the lighting was not the best in the shop.

There still seems to be some debate though as to if the males do posess horns or if they retain a horn up to the final moult? Any experiences out there? Either way, no matter the sex, it will be a breeding project in the future once I can obtain a counterpart.

Looking forward to examining more skins in the future. Thanks again Craig, great link and good thread.

Comment

Definately a female, spermathecae present. She got a bit shirty when I tried to retrieve her moult though as she had done the usual fighting with it and webbed it over. Luckily enough the posterior was still intact. Tried the same with my B. Smithi moults but these were too degraded to be 100% but may be female too.

Comment

Working...
        X