substrate, daft question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• substrate, daft question

probably the daftest question you will hear (you decide!) but when people talk about potting soil as a suitable substrate for most T's, would a simply "growbag" be ok?

I think it's ok.

Comment

Just ensure there are no harmful additives. I prefer coir myself as tried potting soil/spider sub and find the Phorid Flies love it because it contains more organic matter. Coir also retains moisture a lot better, especially if keeping species that need higher humidity.

Comment

Originally posted by steve borthwick View Post
        probably the daftest question you will hear (you decide!) but when people talk about potting soil as a suitable substrate for most T's, would a simply "growbag" be ok?
        There have been many daft questions asked over the years but this isnt one of them.

I sometimes use coir but these days generally use a mix of top soil, general purpose compost, seed compost and/or a mix of all 3 or 4 of them depending on what i have at that particular moment. Tarantulas are fairly versatile and can adapt to many types of substrate so dont worry too much.
        At the moment I have just started experimenting with organic, peat free compost (early days yet) but i like the look and 'feel' of it, now I just have to see if the T's like it as well as me

I have never used a 'growbag' as a source for substrate but I would be slightly wary as there definitely will be some sort of additives, what types I have no idea.
        A bag of top soil is usually around £2.50 and a small bag of general purpose compost approx £3-4 (?) both of which will last a long time.
        Top soil used by itself will usually dry out quickly, so I use this for species that prefer their substrate on the drier side like Brachypelma, Aphonopelma and Grammostola.

I generally use a mixture of any of these.

Comment

Working...
        X