Planted tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planted tanks

Finally pulled my finger out today and got a few of the arboreal tanks planted.
    I planted 6 tanks today and will probably do the other 4 next week when I can find some different plants.
    The tanks only have a single Chamaedorea elegans planted at the moment but I have ordered some (10) small Chlorophytum comosum that should arrive via the post sometime in the next week.
    I'm going to leave them for a few weeks to let everything settle down before adding the arthropods and spiders.
    All I have to do now is decide who to put in which tank.

The tank with the plastic plants can easily be distinguished from the planted tanks.

Looks great.
    I love planted tanks. I have moved recently, and this year's project is constructing and planting between 40 and 50 tanks. Slow process, but I just love the results...
    Please post pictures of your progress
    http://www.facebook.com/marko.sajovic

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post

The tank with the plastic plants can easily be distinguished from the planted tanks.

Looking pretty amazing Peter . Keep us up to date on your progress. You even seem to have included a radio in the setup. I find they enjoy Radio 3 quite a lot, a little Vivaldi keeps my Old Worlds nice and chilled out .

Comment

Just seen these pics Peter ! Awesome.

Comment

Wow they have come on well peter, gravel in the bottom for drainage and is that moss in them also? very nice indeed

Comment

Originally posted by Aragorn Davies View Post
            Wow they have come on well peter, gravel in the bottom for drainage and is that moss in them also? very nice indeed
            The 'gravel' is actually Hydroton expanded Clay balls which are extremely lightweight and porous. These are separated from the soil by a tightly fitted piece of aquarium gravel tidy.
            Most house plants usually die from being over watered so I thought that if i added drainage then any excess water would be soaked up by the porous balls and then will evaporate slowly through the soil. (in theory )
            It must be working to some degree as I havent needed to water the plants sine i planted them almost 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Hydroton expanded Clay balls
              Thank for this information, I gonna buy it...I was thinking about how I can prevent the mold growth in tank. It seems to be a good way.
              Most house plants usually die from being over watered so I thought that if i added drainage then any excess water would be soaked up by the porous balls and then will evaporate slowly through the soil. (in theory )
              This is a good idia Peter and the tanks looks amazing! Congrats!
              Last edited by Szandra Speier; 11-04-13, 09:05 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

The 'gravel' is actually Hydroton expanded Clay balls which are extremely lightweight and porous. These are separated from the soil by a tightly fitted piece of aquarium gravel tidy.
                It must be working to some degree as I haven't needed to water the plants sine i planted them almost 2 weeks ago.
                That's a great idea, i used a layer of sand and very fine gravel mix about an inch or so deep as a base substrate for a bit of drainage, but, actually i think what you have done with the Hydroton clay balls is a much better idea... i'm still jealous of ya super cork tubes lol....What species will you house in the new tanks ?

Comment

That's a great idea, i used a layer of sand and very fine gravel mix about an inch or so deep as a base substrate for a bit of drainage, but, actually i think what you have done with the Hydroton clay balls is a much better idea... i'm still jealous of ya super cork tubes lol....What species will you house in the new tanks ?
                  I can see (and you will probably smell) the sand and fine gravel compacting and creating a dead smelly area

Not sure yet what I'll be housing in them yet.
                  I've got a few species growing on and most of them are now large juvie/sub adult sizes. I've sexed most of them so I'll only be putting the females in the planted tanks, luckily I have multiples of most of these species.

The choices I have are . .

Cyriopagopus schioedtei
                  Cyriopagopus sp. 'Sumatran Tiger'
                  Lampropelma nigerrimum
                  Lampropelma sp. 'Borneo black'
                  Lampropema violaceopes
                  Phormingochilus everetti
                  Poecilotheria metallica
                  Poecilotheria subfusca 'lowland'
                  Poecilotheria pederseni
                  Poecilotheria regalis
                  Poecilotheria tigrinawesselli
                  Poecilotheria ornata

Comment

They look awesome. Cant wait to see what they look like webbed up

Comment

Originally posted by SelinaBailey View Post
                      They look awesome. Cant wait to see what they look like webbed up
                      Nah that aint gonna happen !!

The spider shed is reasonably bright and the light above the tanks makes it even brighter, so I'm working on the theory that almost all of my selected species will take refuge in the deep, dark cork tubes rather than make webbing across my nice shiny and new plants.

Comment

I can see (and you will probably smell) the sand and fine gravel compacting and creating a dead smelly area

Not sure yet what I'll be housing in them yet.
                        I've got a few species growing on and most of them are now large juvie/sub adult sizes. I've sexed most of them so I'll only be putting the females in the planted tanks, luckily I have multiples of most of these species.

The choices I have are . .

Cyriopagopus schioedtei
                        Cyriopagopus sp. 'Sumatran Tiger'
                        Lampropelma nigerrimum
                        Lampropelma sp. 'Borneo black'
                        Lampropema violaceopes
                        Phormingochilus everetti
                        Poecilotheria metallica
                        Poecilotheria subfusca 'lowland'
                        Poecilotheria pederseni
                        Poecilotheria regalis
                        Poecilotheria tigrinawesselli
                        Poecilotheria ornata
                        That's a great list to choose from, do you have a favorite in that list. I like the lampropelma violaceopes,, lol actually i would like them all its a great wish list....

Comment

That's a great list to choose from, do you have a favorite in that list. I like the lampropelma violaceopes,, lol actually i would like them all its a great wish list....
                          My favourite has got to be the P everetti, with the C sp. 'Sumatran Tiger' a close second

Comment

My favourite has got to be the P everetti, with the C sp. 'Sumatran Tiger' a close second
                            Yer both are stunners, is P everetti a little more difficult to get hold of? (Hmmm that's probably a silly question for someone with about a gaZillion tarantulas and multiples of said species lol. )

Comment

Not really that hard to get hold of but expensive. I've seen 2cm slings recently for £75

Comment

Working...
                              X