Advice on feeding Euathlus sp. Red sling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on feeding Euathlus sp. Red sling

I am new to forums and have always found answers to questions on them but never been a member until now. I have many T's and I have received a few slings about a month ago but having problems with one of my euathlus sp. red which I have two and they are so small that they just run from any food items which I have tried feeding them micro crickets, mini mealworms and recently something called been weevil which I crush and one of them has been feeding on crushed food items but the other just is very skittish and won't feed. Any advice would be great and T is not in pre molt and has access to water by droplets on substrate, décor and side of enclosure twice a week. Anybody who has experience with this species as a spiderling, I could use the advice thanks Kenny

Originally posted by KennyCampbell_89 View Post
    I am new to forums and have always found answers to questions on them but never been a member until now. I have many T's and I have received a few slings about a month ago but having problems with one of my euathlus sp. red which I have two and they are so small that they just run from any food items which I have tried feeding them micro crickets, mini mealworms and recently something called been weevil which I crush and one of them has been feeding on crushed food items but the other just is very skittish and won't feed. Any advice would be great and T is not in pre molt and has access to water by droplets on substrate, décor and side of enclosure twice a week. Anybody who has experience with this species as a spiderling, I could use the advice thanks Kenny
    How is the abdomen looking? Is it roughly the same size as the Prosoma? If so it may just not be hungry. Some slings need very little food between instars and tend to be more skittish in some cases as they employ their fight or flight instinct more readily due to their size. A sling is way more susceptible to predation in the wild than an adult would be. Ensure they have retreats to help them feel more secure, say a bark chip or two in their enclosure. It may also still need a little more time to settle in.

Comment

The abdomen looks fine, the same as my other one and the T has retreats broken up coconut pieces. It has been over a month since I received them and all my other slings feed well, I have started to raise a colony of springtails and was wondering if a extra small sling the euathlus sp. red would prefer something that small?

Comment

Originally posted by KennyCampbell_89 View Post
        The abdomen looks fine, the same as my other one and the T has retreats broken up coconut pieces. It has been over a month since I received them and all my other slings feed well, I have started to raise a colony of springtails and was wondering if a extra small sling the euathlus sp. red would prefer something that small?
        As you know, the most important thing for them is water, particularly if they look well fed. The springtails can do no harm though, I have them in with my C. ritae slings and those spiders are small

I would not worry too much though, they are tough little guys. Some may be a little shyer than the others, I find that with most species. The 'rules' of behaviour are never always consistant and this pasttime throws up many surprises. That's why we love it. Just give em the space they need. It may just be full up as well.
        Last edited by Tim Gibbons; 31-03-13, 01:29 PM. Reason: Spelling lol

Comment

I have seen T drinking the water so all must be fine, I have just tried a springtail and the little one took it down not an easy job using springtails but well worth it. I will use springtails until T is a little bit bigger and move on to been weevils or micro crickets. I appreciate the advice, I have never owned such a small sling which I am so glad T is feeding thanks a lot for the advice.

Comment

Hi i breed these last year they are realy good feeders i started them on number 4 crix cut in 1/2

Comment

Like Paul I use small crickets (size #2) with a crushed head. Leave it overnight, there is rarely a time that the cricket isnt eaten by the morning.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, but honestly T would not eat anything crushed or anything that moved to quick but has now finally took down a springtail maybe now that T has attacked prey item successfully I will try an been weevil or the size 2 crickets crushed that you mentioned on next feeding. I have two of these species and one is great with food items but this one not so great just extremely skittish, as T has finally attacked a springtail hopefully all should be fine with feeding in future. Appreciate the help.

Comment

Re: Advice on feeding Euathlus sp. Red sling

Originally posted by paul charlton View Post
                  Hi i breed these last year they are realy good feeders i started them on number 4 crix cut in 1/2
                  How easy were they to breed Paul?

Comment

Working...
                  X