P.Subfusca molt/food help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P.Subfusca molt/food help

Hi, I purchased a 1 inch P.Subfusca on 9th Feb. I fed a cricket (pin head) every 3 days and it went straight after them. After doing this about 5-6 times it's stopped eating and for the last 2 weeks it has hidden itself in a web/substrate retreat. I guess this means that it's due a molt but it seems to be taking a while. I've been placing a cricket in once a week and if the T shows no interest I've been removing it after half an hour.

My question is.. Today I did this but the cricket found it's way into the T's hide. Should I risk leaving it there or cause damage to the hide to try to retrieve the cricket. I know neither is ideal but I want to cause minimum stress to my T. Any advice is gratefully received.

Thank you.

I would retrieve the cricket, I wouldn't risk T being attacked while molting if indeed T is in pre molt. Usually if this happens with cricket sealed inside, T should force the cricket out. I have an 1inch P. Subfusca Bara Lowland and I feed her larger prey than a pinhead cricket and only once a week maybe if your feeding her every three days T could be just full up but probably in pre molt with the amount of food she receiving and pre molt can be quite long in some cases but would definitely get the cricket out.

Comment

FYI P. bara does not exist, it is a defunct name from 1996. P. subfusca lowland or highland. Its the same species but there are locational differences

Feeding once every 3 days is more than required, once a week is fine if the cricket is the same size as the abdomen.
      Pokies will create webbing according to how secure they feel, but less so if the cork/bamboo tube allows for a dark area. Personally I would always suggest providing a dark area which you can achieve without a tube by darkening off the area of the enclosure with a black bin-liner.

Ive certainly known crickets to kill tarantula when they are moulting. Perhaps a little water on it or disturbance will dislodge it. If your P. subfusca has a round abdomen its likely well fed. Try posting up a pic if you can.
      My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

My P. subfusca lowland has just moulted and it is amazing how the size suddendly ballooons. It's legs are twice the thickness of pre-moult. It gives the impression of a puppy with big paws. I will look forward to seeing more of it now as well, as it stayed hidden for quite a while.

Mine was in pre-moult for over 1 month Christopher and now has a leg span of approx 5cm. Just ensure there is water available. If the opisthosoma (abdomen) is the same size as the prosoma (cephalothorax) then do not worry about food. Let us know if the moult goes ahead. You will be amazed at the size increase.

Comment

Working...
        X