No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All,
    Paul here from South Wales. I have nothing exotic yet, but an thinking about either a tarantula, imperial/emperor scorpion or a centipede. Any suggestions ?
    Thanks
    Paul

Depending on species, a tarantula would be the easiest to keep and would be out on show much more than the scorpion and definitely wont hide away like a centipede would.
    The tarantula wont need heating unlike the emperor scorpion and the 'pede, and also special security requirements wont be needed like the centipede will need. Also you will have the choice of over 100 species of tarantula that are reasonably easy to acquire. If you pick a centipede you will only have 6-8 species to choose from.

Comment

With Peter on this one - the Scorpions would need a large setup to get anything worthwhile with imperial/emperor scorpions as a group works best for display purposes. Centipedes can be very defensive and lightening quick and, as Peter pointed out, great escape artists. Starting out you cannot go wrong with a Tarantula but take the time to do your research first before taking the plunge. Ask as many questions as you need to as we will all be happy to advise, no matter what the question. It is better to ask a question than to risk dissapointment further down the line. These are great creatures and will surprise and delight in equal measure.

Comment

Get a avic pinktoe there are amazing tarantulas so beautiful and fun to watch a dime to handle if you so wish to I have ten tarantula my avic was the first so if you buy one be prepaird to find space for more there like Pringles once you pop you can't stop

Comment

I would go for the tarantula too. may be worth popping into a shop that keeps a large selection instore, what part of south wales you from. I'm newport way and could help you find somewhere worth a good look around.
          Avicularia Versicolor 0.0.2 , Brachypelma Vagans 0.0.1 , Brachypelma Albopilosum 0.0.1 , Grammostola Porteri 0.0.2 , Brachypelma Smithi 0.0.1 , Brachypelma Klaasi 0.0.1 , Lampropelma Violaceopes 1.0.0 , Pterinochilus Murinus 0.0.1 , Avicularia Avicularia 0.0.1 , Heteroscodra Maculata 0.0.1 , Poecilotheria Striata 0.0.1 , Acanthoscurria Geniculata 0.0.1

Comment

Sounds like some good advice from the answers. I wouldnt start with a centipede, they are fast and escape artists and get through the narrowist of spaces. Scorpions are fine but dont do it for me although I do have quite a few LOL. No it has to be tarantulas everytime for me.Dont forget the BTS Exhibition is on 19th May and is the best palce to get starter spider from. The set up and free advice from some very experienced exhibitors and keepers. Well worth the effort and a fration of the price of a pet shop. Try the Spider Shop (Google ) , they have a great range of stock.

Ray Hale
            BTS Committee
            British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
            The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
            On
            [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Re: Newbie

Originally posted by Ray Hale View Post
              Sounds like some good advice from the answers. I wouldnt start with a centipede, they are fast and escape artists and get through the narrowist of spaces. Scorpions are fine but dont do it for me although I do have quite a few LOL. No it has to be tarantulas everytime for me.Dont forget the BTS Exhibition is on 19th May and is the best palce to get starter spider from. The set up and free advice from some very experienced exhibitors and keepers. Well worth the effort and a fration of the price of a pet shop. Try the Spider Shop (Google ) , they have a great range of stock.

Ray Hale
              BTS Committee
              Totally agree with Ray.
              And I got my first tarantula at a bts expo

Comment

Working...
              X