MM C. Darlingi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MM C. Darlingi

I would like to ask some questions regarding my MM c. darlingi. He molted into a mature male last March 19. I noticed the tibial hooks in its first pair of legs. The thing that is bothering me is he did not make any sperm web up to now. Is it normal? If so, then how many days or weeks or months will he be able to produce sperm web? I have an adult female C. darlingi, so I would like to breed them. I would like to ask also if how many months he has only to live? Im afraid he would die before I could breed them.Thanks.

Originally posted by kay tee View Post
    The thing that is bothering me is he did not make any sperm web up to now. Is it normal?

Many mature males will destroy the sperm web after making use of it and often you will not notice that one has been built at all. A heavy webbing species like a darlingi could have a few sperm webs in plain sight and you wouldnt see it.

If so, then how many days or weeks or months will he be able to produce sperm web?
    He will probably be producing sperm webs for a few months at least but all spiders are individuals so some may be able to produce the goods for longer than others.

I would like to ask also if how many months he has only to live? Im afraid he would die before I could breed them.Thanks.
    I have had MM darlingi last as little as a month and as long as 6 months.

You might as well ask 'How long is a piece of string' ?

Comment

Thank you for answering my questions. Sorry for asking a lot of questions, Im just a beginner with adult tarantulas. I have them as a sling and now they are all mature. As you said Mr. Roach "Many mature males will destroy the sperm web after making use of it and often you will not notice that one has been built at all. A heavy webbing species like a darlingi could have a few sperm webs in plain sight and you wouldnt see it.". How do I know if my MM darlingi is ready to breed if I had not seen it create its sperm web? As I have read from articles, He will be ready if he is too active and always roaming around the enclosure. Is this right? My MM darlingi is just sitting there and no movements at all. Maybe his not yet ready, and his palpal bulbs are not swollen.

Comment

How do I know if my MM darlingi is ready to breed if I had not seen it create its sperm web? As I have read from articles, He will be ready if he is too active and always roaming around the enclosure. Is this right? My MM darlingi is just sitting there and no movements at all. Maybe his not yet ready, and his palpal bulbs are not swollen.

Welcome to the sometimes uncertain world of Tarantula breeding !!!

If he has been mature for more than a few weeks then it is almost certain that he has made a sperm web and his pedipalps will be loaded with sperm. As many MM's rarely eat after their ultimate moult, they will need water more than usual. Has fresh water been available at all times ?
        Put some of the females web into his tub where he will likely find it. This should 'get him going' and he will likely make a new sperm web and reload his pedipalps in preparation for mating.

Comment

I did not put water dish in his enclosure. I just drop water to the webs, and I noticed that he drunk it. Maybe I should put a water dish. I will tell for the updates.. Thanks Mr. Roach. Thanks BTS.

Comment

Working...
          X