morio worms as food items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• morio worms as food items

hi all i just want to know if anyone feeds morio worms to there tarantulas. i've just read a care sheet on them and there also known as super worms only the problem is the care sheet says there ok for reptiles amphibians and so on but might not be to cleaver for arachnids . so i was just wondering if anyone uses these as a food item and if so how do you get on with them.

They are OK as food but as most things in life . . . everything in moderation.
    Morio worms have been know to eat tarantulas during a moult so I would hold the worms in tweezers until the T grabs them and once the eating process has started you can leave the T alone to eat in peace.

Comment

cheers pete. i'll give it a go and see how they react to them. don't sound to cleaver if they can have a munch on a tarantula though .

Comment

Crickets will definitely munch on moulting T's so why not something with much stronger jaws ?
        I use the smaller mealworms as a clean up crew in my roach bins as they will eat any dead roaches and so keep the Phorid flies away.

Comment

this is true. i did try a smithi and cobalt blue the smithi showed no interest what so ever the cobalt killed it but didn't finish it. i'll try again and see what happens with some of the others thanks for the info pete maybe i'll have better luck tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
            I use the smaller mealworms as a clean up crew in my roach bins as they will eat any dead roaches and so keep the Phorid flies away.
            Sorry for going slightly off topic here. Where can I get some of these Pete? Are these the ones that come free in cricket tubs?

Jamie
            My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Cooper View Post
              Sorry for going slightly off topic here. Where can I get some of these Pete? Are these the ones that come free in cricket tubs?

Jamie
              Free in crickets tubs ? No, they are dermestid beetle larvae

The dermestid larvae are great as a clean up crew in roach bins but the normal mealworms do the same job and are easier to get in bulk.

Comment

Crickets will definitely munch on moulting T's so why not something with much stronger jaws ?

Superb advice Peter, I knew those mealworms would come in handy for something! Damn phorid flies!

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen jordan View Post
                  Superb advice Peter, I knew those mealworms would come in handy for something! Damn phorid flies!
                  I had a real problem with them bloody phorid flies but after tipping in 1/2 a box of mealworms the fly number reduced after about a week and after a few weeks they were all gone. This was several months ago and havent seen any since in either of the 2 roach bins.
                  I use powdered cat crunchies as food for the roaches and the mealworms eat that as well as any dead roaches, fly eggs, larvae and pupae.
                  A job well done by the mealworms sez I and as they are breeding in the bins, I also have a small amount of various sized mealworms if i need them in an emergency.

Comment

Free in crickets tubs ? No, they are dermestid beetle larvae

The dermestid larvae are great as a clean up crew in roach bins but the normal mealworms do the same job and are easier to get in bulk.
                    Ahh right, thanks mate. Would something like this be suitable...

Do they not eventually turn into beetles?

Jamie
                    My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Cooper View Post
                      Exactly like them but cheaper The P&P doesnt look exactly cheap does it ?

Of course they turn into beetles, how else will you get little mealworms ?

Obviously it will depend on how many roaches you have in the roach bins to how many mealworms you use.

Comment

Working...
                      X