great hobby.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• great hobby.

I just had to say this what a great hobby.
    I just got my first T in April 2013 a Brachypelma smithi and my collection has grown quickly,i now have ten (i know its not a lot compared to other people).
    All i can think about while iam at work is what are the T up to,i have already had five molts this year (my first year) and all have turned out fine, and now it looks like my Lasiodora parahybana is about to molt.
    The anticipation is awesome. A friend said to me when i started the hobby are they not boring. No they are not, for instants my Thrixopelma sp (i dont know a lot about this species )is rolling big balls of substrate up,
    i think its another one getting ready to molt.
    I could go on all night but i wont.

WHAT A GREAT HOBBY....

10 t's in 3 months, wow toak me best part of 2 years to get 10, i have 20 now nope sorry 18, my B.albop died and my little sling Euathlus sp. "red" too it is a great hobby, and very addictive, and whats better... your always learning!! What is your fave t so far, now that you got a couple, i always loved Euathlus sp. when i was startin out, i am starting to lean more towards Accanthoscurria these days....... but the E.sp "red" is still y all time fave tarantula.

Comment

Hi Mark yes i agree with you you are always learning, i find this site very helpful i am going to join.My first was a Brachypelma Smithi which not long after i had it went into molt for a month so if i did not buy my Acanthoscurria Geniculata i would have soon got bored with the hobby.
      My Acanthoscurria Geniculata has got to be my fav at the moment its personalty is really cool.
      Also three of my T are only slings 1 or 2 cm,To be honest i have not got any Euathlus Sp yet but they look a lovely T.
      My wife has now told me to slow down buying any more T so come next year i will still only have 10. Lol

Comment

Re: great hobby.

It's great for meeting people and seeing what you want to keep next.. The bad side is never having enough room lol

Comment

Yes John can not wait to go to one of the meets, a lot seem to be up north or in the Midlands .
          I think it was peter Roch that said there is a show in kempton park soon I think September.
          Lol about the room at the moment I can only fit about 16 in ,(when my wife let's me lol).

Comment

Originally posted by David Dunmall View Post
            I just had to say this what a great hobby.
            I just got my first T in April 2013 a Brachypelma smithi and my collection has grown quickly,i now have ten (i know its not a lot compared to other people). ...

So, WELCOME TO THE HOBBY!

WELCOME TO THIS FORUM!

If you haven't done so already, go to the Spiders, Calgary website and start reading. When you finish that, start reading the four recommended books.

In the meantime...

Has no one told you of the tarantula enthusiast's lament?

"LIKE THOSE POTATO CHIPS, YOU CAN'T HAVE JUST ONE!"

You've been warned!
            The Tarantula Whisperer!
            Stan Schultz
            Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
            Private messaging is turned OFF!
            Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Comment

Thanks Stanley yes I have read some of spiders, Calgary but I will be going back to the site.
              I am already reading Tarantula keepers guide, I find find it very intuitive.

Comment

David, I do feel exactly as you are! What a great hobby... what a lack of space!!! I'm currently enjoying six beautiful tarantulas, but as my wife said: "now it's enough, or we'll have to move!". When I'm sixty four (as said someone else), I'll be able to room a lot more of tarantulas, that's for sure (kids gone, full time available...).
                Come and visit us: http://mygales.esy.es

Comment

Lol ,yes one of the kids rooms would be ideal..

Comment

Originally posted by David Dunmall View Post
                    Lol ,yes one of the kids rooms would be ideal..
                    Question: Why are retirees so slow to clean out the basement, attic or garage?
                    Answer: They know that as soon as they do, one of their adult kids will want to store stuff there. Or move back in . . .

You've been warned!
                    The Tarantula Whisperer!
                    Stan Schultz
                    Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
                    Private messaging is turned OFF!
                    Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Comment

6-7+ years for me...still not bored
                      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
                      X