Unusually active T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusually active T

My lovely Nhandu coloratovillosus is normally calm and quite still has suddenly become extremely active, and appears - for want of a better description to be itchy! He's nor flicking hair, but rubbing his legs on each other and on his belly. He also keeps himself raised from the ground. Apart from a medium cricket two days again and fresh water nothing has changed. Any ideas? He seems uncomfortable.
    Thanks in advance!
    Sophie

Hi Sophie. Is it possible for you to give us more details:
    - Are you sure he's a male? How old is he? Do you know if he has done his last molt?
    - What are the conditions in the terra? Temperature? Size? You say he has water available?
    - Have you noticed something different when you look at him: tiny creatures crawling on him? Some weird colors? Else?
    - For how long has he done that (raising / rubbing)? Just a little moment or a long time?
    Come and visit us: http://mygales.esy.es

Comment

Ah, and I forgot:
      - What kind of substrate do you use? Is it rather dry or damp?
      - And have you got a heating source?

Comment

I'm not sure he's a male no, I had a look at his last moult and couldn't be sure, he last moulted about six months ago and is eighteen months old. He has a little bowl of water and I keep one end of the terra a little damp, he seems to enjoy resting on it! He's on vermiculite about three inches deep tapering up to about five, apparently he likes to burrow, I'm still waiting on that! Tanks 45 by 30 cm. He's a little lighter than after his previous moult and I can't see any parasites. He's also legging it when I look at him whereas normally he just doesn't care unless I've got his dinner! No direct heat source but kept between 28 and 30 degrees. He's been like it for two days.
        Help!

Comment

hi there sophie. i have one of these t's a female about 3 years old. this rubbing of legs on each other and the underside has been described as a little self pampering in the past as mine was doing the same and like you just wanted to know what it was all about so i would say there's no real problem there. when mine done it she was rubbing her legs and underside for half hour or so but wasn't doing it all the time once in a blue moon i suppose. if your using just vermiculite as your substrate this could be making things a little hard for the spider to do things naturally ie digging burrowing even just getting around could be a struggle. i use co co fiber husk some people mix it with peat or top soil. i would change your substrate keep it as deep as you have already got and see what happens. by the way i keep mine on the dry side moistening one corner then let it dry out then do the same again once a week or so. she seems to be thriving with the way things are perhaps someone can ad more info for you hope this helps .

Comment

A picture says more than a thousand words but two or more would be much better

One of the complete tank and others of the spider, views from the top and sides.

PS. Of all the substrates available to hobbyists, I would rate vermiculite as in the top two as ones to avoid at all costs !!!

Comment

Thanks so much guys, pictures to follow! What is worse? Is it like a duvet cover? I shall stop and get some new things for my little possible girl! I'm surprised I thought is was one of the best and to be totally honest the easiest to get right. It's my first T you see.

Comment

Don't worry Sophie! It's almost unavoidable not to do everything perfectly right with a first T (even when you read all the books!). It's a hobby in which we are still learning (meaning: we are still making mistakes!) - well, at least I am! Send the pictures as soon as possible, and someone will probably find a way to help! Personally I use "blond peat" (I don't know the right word in English) and everything works fine, but some ten years ago, vermiculite was supposed to be one of the best substrate. Things change...

Comment

Originally posted by Sophie hogan View Post
                  Thanks so much guys, pictures to follow! What is worse? Is it like a duvet cover?
                  What is worse ? . . . fine sand. (gets into their book lungs)

Vermiculite is Hydrophilic.

Which basically means that it absorbs water at a great rate and when there isnt enough water for it to absorb it then takes it from the surrounding atmosphere.
                  In the context of using it for substrate, it means that if you are not EXACT in keeping it hydrated it will be either too wet for the tarantula or it will take moisture from the tank. Which will then dry the tank out to a level detrimental to the tarantulas health, especially as N coloratovillosus prefers a slightly raised humidity level.

You go to any garden centre and get many types of substrate very cheaply. I use top soil, peat, compost, cactus compost, seed compost (John Innes no 3) or any mixtures of these depending on what comes to hand first. (I use several bags a year of these mixtures)
                  You can also get something from many pet shops which is called Coir or Coconut coir AKA eco-earth which is a compressed brick of ground up coconut shells that expands when water is poured on it. A brick will cost around £3-4 depending where it is bought >>> LINK <<<

Vermiculite also isnt a great substrate as it is very unstable underfoot for the tarantula which they REALLY dont like.

Comment

And Sophie, if you buy soil or peat etc., just make sure it isn't treated with potentially toxic elements. The more natural the better, I think...

Comment

Working...
                    X