Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank question.

Good morning everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone could answer a quick question for me.

Is it ok to keep a tarantula in an old fish tank with a mirrored back? There was plenty of floor space, I'm just curious with regards to the mirror.

Thanks

Rachael.

Good morning Rachael,

I personally don't see a problem with keeping a tarantula in an old fish tank with a mirrored back. From what I've read, a tarantula's eye sight is quite poor and is mainly used for detecting light and dark as opposed to seeing things (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) so you wouldn't get it staring, acting funny and trying to attack the mirror like a dog or cat would from seeing their reflection. Tarantulas mainly sense disturbances by vibrations, be it from prey, predators, other tarantulas or you.

Aside from that I think the only problem you may have is glare, if you or the sun shines direct light at the mirror it could reflect it back on the tarantula and tarantulas do not like very bright environments. Also with the sun, the light is heat so you would be effectively raising the temperature of the enclosure. So if you kept it out of direct light, I don't see a problem.

There is also the chance you may come to check your tarantula one day and forget you have a mirror there and you will see 2 of them :P hehehe

Oh I almost forgot, don't forget the breathing holes .

Anyway that is my opinion. Someone with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards

Richard.
    Last edited by Richard Harper; 22-08-13, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Thank you for that Richard. I don't keep either of my tarantlas in one, but, the one that I've recently acquired did. I have recently moved him to to Exo-Terra PT2600. His previous housing was, in my opinion, unsuitable, there was no substrate and he was walking about on a base of rough bark chippings and sawdust and I didn't feel that the ventilation was suitable.

I get the feeling that he isn't very happy as he hasn't come of the top of his hide since he was moved.

Comment

I just noticed you're new to the forum so I'd like to say WELCOME! Glad you decided to become interested in tarantulas ! I saw you're also interested in cats, be careful with having cats around your tarantulas as the cats tend to be curious about other small creatures and will try to get to them. I'm speaking from experience, used to have a cat the couldn't resist banging on my tarantulas vivs trying to get into them. Sad to say the cat had to go after that, but she has a new home and is happy and tubby so no worries there.

You've done your research I'm sure, but just in case you need a bit more information try this webpage http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html

Originally posted by RachaelLHibbitt View Post
        His previous housing was, in my opinion, unsuitable, there was no substrate and he was walking about on a base of rough bark chippings and sawdust and I didn't feel that the ventilation was suitable.
        Well I would have to agree with you, I don't think bark chippings and saw dust are good for tarantulas in general, even if they like their substrate dry. I think there would be more of a chance for injury if it climbed the side and fell onto bark chippings and sawdust than on substrate. Glad you changed it . I'm sure he appreciates the change too.

Comment

Richard, thank you for your advice with regards to the cats.

My largest cat is not bothered in the slightest. He is more like a sloth. . Phoebe however has shown some interest in them, but, we are dealing with her and she is getting the idea she has to stay away. As soon as she goes near the Sapient and Priscilla we spray her with water (proven method of training cats) and she now runs when she sees the bottle.

Comment

Wow, wish I had known that a spray of water works well. Good stuff

Love the names too

Comment

Working...
            X