It finally happened!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It finally happened!

After 5 or so years of keeping tarantulas, I have an escapee on the loose!

I never thought it would happen to me because I am so careful. The closest I ever came was a few months back when a Psalmopoeus irminia juvenile ran under the bed in my T Room. It took me about an hour to catch it!

The T on the run is a tiny 0.5cm Cyriocosmus perezmilesi. The annoying thing is, I have no idea when it escaped. I hadn't been able to locate the spider in it's 3oz tub for several days, so after carefully digging out all the substrate and finding nothing I've come to the conclusion it must have escaped through one of the ventilation holes!

I have no idea where to start looking and to be honest I think I'd be wasting my time looking for something so small.

Any thoughts guys?

Jamie
    My Collection:

A loose species of that size ?
    I would expect it to die very soon due to the lack of humidity, if not the average house spider would make a meal of it.

I would expect a 3oz container to be a sub adults enclosure not something small as 0.5cm !
    When something that tiny dies in its tub, it can disappear into the substrate within a few days.
    Last edited by Peter Roach; 08-09-13, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
      A loose species of that size ?
      I would expect it to die very soon due to the lack of humidity, if not the average house spider would make a meal of it.
      My thoughts entirely Peter!

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
      When something that tiny dies in its tub, it can disappear into the substrate within a few days.
      That's interesting. Are you saying it might have died and deteriorated so much that I can no longer see it?

Either way, I don't think I'll be seeing it again. Just as well I bought 5

Thanks for the input Peter!

Jamie
      My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Cooper View Post

That's interesting. Are you saying it might have died and deteriorated so much that I can no longer see it?
        Yep thats the idea

Comment

I lost a P ornata sub adult a couple of months ago. It was during the heatwave. I convinced my wife that the T would have left the house via the open window and would be enjoying life amongst the british wildlife until it got eaten or the cold weather kicked in.

Came home from a night out a couple of weeks ago and guess what was sat in the middle of a window blind, waiting for food?

No idea how the spider got out but I know that the kids had had some friends round so they've had a reminder not to open the enclosures.

Comment

16 Chilobrachys sp alladins on the loose presently, Little sods! My own fault completely

Comment

It sounds like they need to go to a good home where they will be well looked after

I housed some c. huahini spiderlings yesterday. Each and every one of the little buggers played up. They've certainly got spirit from a young age.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen jordan View Post
                16 Chilobrachys sp alladins on the loose presently, Little sods! My own fault completely
                Wow! To think I had problems. I hope you find them Steve!
                My Collection:

Comment

My C fasciatum is now about 1cm after about 6 months; and I can now see it. I expect it was digging it out that did it
                  http://spidersammy.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

After 5 or so years of keeping tarantulas, I have an escapee on the loose!

The T on the run is a tiny 0.5cm Cyriocosmus perezmilesi. The annoying thing is, I have no idea when it escaped. I hadn't been able to locate the spider in it's 3oz tub for several days, so after carefully digging out all the substrate and finding nothing I've come to the conclusion it must have escaped through one of the ventilation holes!

I have no idea where to start looking and to be honest I think I'd be wasting my time looking for something so small.

Any thoughts guys?

Jamie
                    The good news is that a spider that size and age isn't likely to travel very far. Get a good flashlight and establish a systematic, thorough search pattern (about like when you're mowing the lawn) so you hit every nook, cranny and square centimeter. Close any curtains or drapes and use the flashlight even in broad daylight. It helps to focus your attention. The spider is most likely below knee level unless you were keeping it on a high shelf. Get down on your belly and start looking.

Be very careful about moving things in the process of searching. You don't want to squish it behind something. Shelves and bookcases pose a particular hazard in this respect. Be sure to look in folds of fabric like drapes and curtains (all the way to the top), shoes and clothing, laundry or other things on the floor, etc.

By now it may be rolled up in a ball of lint or dust and look like any other dust bunny. Don't discount anything that may hold an errant spider until you've looked at it in detail.

If and when you finally do find it, regardless of whether you think it's dead or alive, you should plan on putting it in an ICU for a few days to recover. These things are capable of making some truly miraculous recoveries!

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

It ain't dead until it smells dead!
                    Last edited by Stanley A. Schultz; 15-09-13, 02:24 AM. Reason: Because I can never leave well enough alone!
                    The Tarantula Whisperer!
                    Stan Schultz
                    Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
                    Private messaging is turned OFF!
                    Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley A. Schultz View Post
                      The good news is that a spider that size and age isn't likely to travel very far. Get a good flashlight and establish a systematic, thorough search pattern (about like when you're mowing the lawn) so you hit every nook, cranny and square centimeter. Close any curtains or drapes and use the flashlight even in broad daylight. It helps to focus your attention. The spider is most likely below knee level unless you were keeping it on a high shelf. Get down on your belly and start looking.

Be very careful about moving things in the process of searching. You don't want to squish it behind something. Shelves and bookcases pose a particular hazard for this reason. Be sure to look in folds of fabric like drapes and curtains (all the way to the top), shoes and clothing, laundry or other things on the floor, etc.

By now it may be rolled up in a ball of lint or dust and look like any other dust bunny. Don't discount anything that may hold an errant spider until you've looked at it in detail.

If and when you finally do find it, regardless of whether you think it's dead or alive, you should plan on putting it in an ICU for a few days to recover. These things are capable of making some truly miraculous recoveries!

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

It ain't dead until it smells dead!
                      Thanks for the input Stan!

I'll be amazed if it does turn up. But if it does, I will take your advice and put it in an ICU for a couple of days to recover.

Jamie
                      My Collection:

Comment

ahh what a nightmare! hope you all find your missing spiders
                        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I have a 3cm M. balfouri on the loose, no ideas really checked many times.... 3 weeks now

Comment

Wow! To think I had problems. I hope you find them Steve!
                            Got more than that loose, Theyve gone! Found two first day they went missing and now nothing.

Comment

Working...
                            X