Ex-arachnophobe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-arachnophobe

. . . and new arachnophile here. Since I did the 'Friendly Spider' programme at the zoo I've been thinking more and more about getting a tarantula of my own. My sister has a grammostola rosea (I had to look that up, was a 'Chilean rose' to me) which seems easy to care for, though I'd like something a little more colourful like (is it essential to use the proper names?) Mexican red kneed one.

Would be interested to know what you experienced tarantula keepers advise; should I wait a few months to see if my fear of spiders returns (they say it won't) or take the plunge? It would be nice to have one I could handle but not essential, but I do have cats and I wonder how safe the spider would be from them, would they terrorise it?

Congrats on overcoming your fear

Whichever species you decide on, just be sure to do your research (read as many care sheets as possible etc.) as each of them have different requirements. I guess you're familiar with the general care already, as your sister has one.

Handling isn't really recommended, especially if you're concerned that your 'fear' may suddenly return. Cats, or anything else, that may startle the t. whilst it's out could prove to be fatal should it fall.

If you're looking for a more attractive starter species; have you considered the 'Pink Zebra Beauty', Eupalaestrus Campestratus

Usually harder to find, hence slightly more expensive. But you might be able to find a breeder selling one on the Bulletin Boards
    Arachnophiles & Forum!

Comment

That's really really stunning, thank you, I did a search on the bulletin board and there are a few for sale for about £25. The more I look at any spider though, the more beautiful they all seem - I wonder if they overdid the hypnotherapy bit in my case?!

I hadn't thought of getting a spider from the net, but there are very few to choose from at my local pet shop. Wouldn't it be better to buy one with the housing, heat mat and everything all at once?

Comment

I don't think any photgraph does a tarantula justice, they are so much more spectacular up close.

If you do decide to get one from the bulletin board then ask as many questions as you can before the purchase, age, size, sex (if possible) etc.

Same aplies at the pet shop really, ask questions, and try and assess the condition (plump? or scrawny? etc.)

I would recommend that you purchase your kit at least 24 hours in advance of the t. This gives you time to set everything, and leave it on a test run beforehand.

A good place to look for kit is http://www.faunology.co.uk
        Don't be tempted to go for the 'pre selected' kits as you will probably not require some of the stuff they throw in, and it's just as cheap to select items individually anyway. Other than that, this place is among, if not, the cheapeast I have seen.

A good place for mail order t's is http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/
        Again, probably one of the better online dealers. The guy that runs it, Lee, is sound! He's quick and informative to any questions you may have.
        Arachnophiles & Forum!

Comment

I've got a campestratus and would recommend her to anyone. Stupidly docile, no idea how it would survive in the wild as she shows no aggression to anything, even her food. Just walks up to it casually and takes it without any lunging.

Eats a surprising amount as well and gets to a good 6" legspan and quite a weight.
          And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

Working...
          X