Experienced an ASDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experienced an ASDS

I have finally had my first death (other than a MM GBB that was given to me and a B smithi sling that died a day after arrival).

I was really thinking this is a myth. I have had 17 ts, but I had an A diversipes sling which was fine for 2 months. It didn't moult, then it was fine 1 day, then the next it died.

To try and kill the myth: It was the first cold night down here and I forgot to check the temp on the viv, it possibly dropped to about 16o. But over one night, a lively A diversipes was dead the next morning.

I have taken 10 of my Ts from slings, and they have been through some pretty hard conditions whilst I was learning. But this was my latest purchase and I was keeping it perfectly and inexplicably it has died.
    http://spidersammy.blogspot.co.uk/

Originally posted by SamLees17 View Post
    To try and kill the myth:
    Thats all it is . . A myth.
    It is something thought up by hobbyist's to explain why their Avic spp died. NOTHING 'just' dies.
    There is always a reason, all the hobbyist has to do is find out why.

It was the first cold night down here and I forgot to check the temp on the viv, it possibly dropped to about 16o. But over one night, a lively A diversipes was dead the next morning.
    There is the reason why it died. It is (was) a tropical species. Did you really expect any different ? Some species of tarantula are tough as old boots and others are more delicate. Avicularia are one of these species but as long as they are kept within certain parameters then many mistakes made by the hobbyist are survivable. Unfortunately sudden sharp drop in temps is not one of these.

I was keeping it perfectly and inexplicably it has died.
    You THOUGHT that you was keeping it perfectly but as you have said . . the temps dropped. So there was nothing inexplicable about it, obviously the diversipes didnt agree with sudden drop in temperature and that is why it died.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
      Thats all it is . . A myth.
      It is something thought up by hobbyist's to explain why their Avic spp died. NOTHING 'just' dies.
      There is always a reason, all the hobbyist has to do is find out why.

There is the reason why it died. It is (was) a tropical species. Did you really expect any different ? Some species of tarantula are tough as old boots and others are more delicate. Avicularia are one of these species but as long as they are kept within certain parameters then many mistakes made by the hobbyist are survivable. Unfortunately sudden sharp drop in temps is not one of these.

You THOUGHT that you was keeping it perfectly but as you have said . . the temps dropped. So there was nothing inexplicable about it, obviously the diversipes didnt agree with sudden drop in temperature and that is why it died.
      That was kinda the point of my post. To highlight that it must have died from a sudden drop in temperature. On a side note my A versi was very static and I have now cracked up the temperature and it has sprung back to life.

Avicularia = fragile to temperature as opposed to humidity.

Comment

I say cracked up the temperature, I have moved my habistat back to the middle of the viv where it should have been.

Comment

Working...
        X