Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poecilotheria regalis sex organs

Here are some pics.
    Even though I have been keeping spiders for years, I am not the greatest when it comes to the finer details.
    Attached are 2 pics that I would like your opinion on. From P.regalis around 13cm legspan.
    The first pic is definately spermathecae (Do they look normal for regalis?)

For the second pic, is this what male sex organs would look like or am I totally confused?

Would love to hear some professional opinion.

Not a professional opinion but you are right on both counts.

Many people see the males sexual organs and automatically think that they are looking at spermatheca without looking for the uterus externus.

Comment

Now, what if I told you those 2 pictures were both from the same spider exuvium?

Comment

First thing I did was to save both photo's on my laptop and then turned them up the other way and also enlarged them to check again and now I'm confused.

The first photo looks to be the right shape and size of a spermatheca for a P regalis.
        The second photo after enlarging, although blurry and not at all clear, does look like male accessory organs with the base wider than the apex.

Check the 9th photo down >>> LINK <<< of a male P regalis accessory organs.

Comment

Ok.
          If it makes more sense, this moult is from my regalis with the double band...

Does it look like it possibly has both sexes then looking at those moult pictures then?

Comment

Nice specimen of an abdophagus P. rgalis.

I have seen conjoined spermatheca in a few specimens but never one in Poecilotheria.

Any chance you can re take pic 2 and post?

BTW the spider should be able to breed but it is unlikely there will be any pattern abnormalities, tried this with another abdophagus specimen.

RayG

Comment

No wonder i was confused. I bet the spider is as well !!

Comment

I will try take another pic tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                X