Which live plant to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which live plant to use

I have been considering putting some live plants in some of my T. tanks but I'm not sure which ones to use.

Not sure if anyone on here has done the same but I would appreciate any opinions or advice.

Many thanks.

I've using the spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum) and the parlour palm (Chamaedorea elegans) because after a little research these are amongst the easiest house plants to keep and do not need the extremes of light that most plants need and tarantulas dislike.
    Another plant that doesnt need strong lighting and could also be used is Pothos (Epipremnum aureum)

Have you read THIS or THIS ?

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Already looked them up and I think they would look great in my tanks.

Comment

Dont forget about drainage !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
          Dont forget about drainage !!!
          How do you deal with this? I was planning on putting these in my glass exo terra Viv.

Comment

I've been using pothos for a fair few months now, but haven't done anything about drainage - I realize the obvious reasons for needing drainage, as you wouldn't want the substrate to become waterlogged, but having done some homework on pothos, it seems they don't need much watering at all. I've occasionaly been wetting a corner where the roots are in a similar manner to slightly overflowing a water dish, and all is fine so far - A couple of the tanks with the plants in are actually pretty dry...

Although you've worried me now Peter, I'm now wondering if there are other reasons for allowing drainage other than for excess water?
            Have a good time all the time

Comment

Originally posted by John-Henry Dickinson View Post
              How do you deal with this? I was planning on putting these in my glass exo terra Viv.

Read my previous threads, particularly the 1st

Originally posted by Adam Beynon - Jones View Post
              Although you've worried me now Peter, I'm now wondering if there are other reasons for allowing drainage other than for excess water?
              What happens to water and soil when it is still ? Totally still with no oxygen ? Stagnant water will smell, add soil to this and you will get anaerobic bacteria and a REALLY bad smell like a manky swamp. A constant wet soil will rot the roots of many plants so by doing things my way the bottom layers of soil get the chance to dry out and therefore avoid the plants dying and the nasty smell, it will also allow a slow release of the underground moisture into the tank.
              I now tip 1/2 litre of water into the tanks every 2 months-ish which seems to work for the spiders, plants and the breeding isopods.

Comment

So what about overflowing water dishes in a normal set up? I've never had a bad smell from doing this.

Or is it just when you combine the plants?

I've not noticed any bad smell so far, do you use pothos as well?

Comment

So what about overflowing water dishes in a normal set up? I've never had a bad smell from doing this.
                  Neither have I but the substrate when using plants will be deeper and will be constantly wet at the lower levels. I dont know the reason but whenever I've added plants and not used drainage the tanks have stank after a while. I learned all this when I briefly kept dendrobates. Whatever the reason it works for me.

Or is it just when you combine the plants?

I've not noticed any bad smell so far, do you use pothos as well?
                  I would do but cant find any at a reasonable price
                  , Im not paying £10-£12 for a bloody Pothos which is what my local garden center wants for a small plant

Comment

Neither have I but the substrate when using plants will be deeper and will be constantly wet at the lower levels. I dont know the reason but whenever I've added plants and not used drainage the tanks have stank after a while. I learned all this when I briefly kept dendrobates. Whatever the reason it works for me.

Fair enough, and perfectly logical. Always trust your nose! For some reason it's seemed to be fine with me so far - I've always used my nose when checking tanks in general. The substrate in my LP and E.murinus enclosures are 5inches at the site of the plants. I have 3 other enclosures where the sub is less deep, and all seems well in those too. However, your comments are duly noted, and will be keeping my nose firmly peeled just in case - will have a re-think if I notice anything untoward, but don't fancy ripping tanks apart to drill holes unless a problem arises, we shall see... I've got a mixture of peat, coir, and orchid bark in these tanks by the way....

I would do but cant find any at a reasonable price
                    , Im not paying £10-£12 for a bloody Pothos which is what my local garden center wants for a small plant

I got a couple of pots from here, 6quid per pot. Add the best part of 5quid for postage, but you can always get a bunch of stuff to make it more worthwhile - They have a good range including some nice arid plants. This site also suggests not to let substrate get waterlogged at bottom, but perhaps I'm not using enough water for it to be a problem, and don't think I've under watered as the plants seem to be doing fine... Time will tell, but it's been a good few months - so far, so good.

Here are some pics of what I managed to get out of the two pots, with a little left over...

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2503.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	94460Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2505.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	94461Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2508.jpg
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	94462Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2512.jpg
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	94463Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2515.jpg
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	94464

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Beynon - Jones View Post
                      will have a re-think if I notice anything untoward, but don't fancy ripping tanks apart to drill holes unless a problem arises
                      Drill holes ? Are you mad ?!

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
                      The 'gravel' is actually Hydroton expanded Clay balls which are extremely lightweight and porous. These are separated from the soil by a tightly fitted piece of aquarium gravel tidy.
                      Most house plants usually die from being over watered so I thought that if i added drainage then any excess water would be soaked up by the porous balls and then will evaporate slowly through the soil. (in theory )
                      As you can see, no drilling needed

Comment

Lol! Just would have thought I'd need holes for drainage, hence would need glass drill bit, and lots of faff...

So.... you say this method has stopped your issues with odour? That makes me feel better knowing if I have any issues, it's a lot easier to redo it

Comment

Working...
                        X