Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

Long time admirer, first time poster!

So I know this has probably been posted/asked a hundred times before, but I'm looking at getting my first T. I've narrowed down my search to a few select species but would just appreciate a little clarification and any relevant pointers.

I looked at Grammostola rosea and I've read that they are very suitable for the novice, but we had some of these when I was a college years ago and they don't appeal. So, I'm considering the below but would appreciate some more experienced comments.

Brazilian Black/Grammostola pulchra and Chaco Gold-Knee/G. pulchripes: I've read good things (docile etc.) Do they make a good display species or are they likely to burrow or be "too docile"?

Mexican Painted Red-Leg/Brachypelma emilia, Mexican Red Rump/B. vagan and Mexican Golden Red Rump/ B. ruhnaui: Again, I've read good things but keep coming across comments on a penchant for hair flicking? There is a reputable pet shop locally that has female Painted Reg Leg and she's beautiful!!!

Pink Zebra Beauty/Eupalaetrus campestratu: read a few positive comments but unable to find much more, anything you can tell me?

Thank you in advance
    Neil
    B. boehmei
    G. pulchripes
    B. smithi

Neil
    Chilean roses tend to be pet rocks and can go long periods of fasting, which often cuases concern to the new keeper, but natural behaviour if you know what I mean, plus 99.9% are wild caught...

Id go with this option!

Originally posted by Neil Robert View Post
    Mexican Painted Red-Leg/Brachypelma emilia, Mexican Red Rump/B. vagan and Mexican Golden Red Rump/ B. ruhnaui: Again, I've read good things but keep coming across comments on a penchant for hair flicking? There is a reputable pet shop locally that has female Painted Reg Leg and she's beautiful!!!
    l
    Mark

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply.

So, are you saying the Red-Leg looks like the best option...?

Thanks again
      Neil
      B. boehmei
      G. pulchripes
      B. smithi

Comment

Hi Neil, Welcome to the forum

Brachypelma ruhnaui is now B albiceps

I think one of better looking Brachypelma species is B emilia, they are also calm and generally are not the flicky type.

Comment

Hi, I would say the B. emilia would be a great choice, especially as there is one in your local shop. I have a few questions -

Is it a confirmed female?

How much is it?

How big is it?

You seem like you've done your homework, so I'm assuming you know about male/female lifespans....

Ps, don't worry I'm not going to come and nab it before you
          Have a good time all the time

Comment

Hi

well I actually went back in yesterday, no Red-Leg

However, i did become the proud owner of a Flame-Leg! I'm collecting her next weekend as I wasn't in a position to bring her home yesterday or today.

In terms of confirming the sex, the store were honest in that it wasn't them who sexed her, but I think I might look at confirmation when she moults.

I paid £40...?

Thanks
            Neil

PS: I did read a snippet somewhere that the Flame-Leg is the most prone to hair flicking out of the Brachypelma genus, true? I was wondering about it when I looked at her and her abdomen doesn't have any patches.
            B. boehmei
            G. pulchripes
            B. smithi

Comment

Neil, you really have to learn the proper names cos i cant be bothered to Google common names.

Anyone know what the Brachy goes by the silly name of flame leg ?

EDIT. I think the most flicky of all the Brachypelmas is boehmei so that may be the flame leg

Comment

Hi

Yup it's a B.boehmei! I hope she's kind to me...
                B. boehmei
                G. pulchripes
                B. smithi

Comment

£40 is a good price for these at sub adult-adult size, even more so if it is a confirmed female.... In my opinion.....

They are gorgeous tarantulas, mine is prone to kicking hairs, but this is fine as long as you are careful when doing tank maintenance

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Do you find you have much of an issue with hair in substrate, around the enclosure etc?

Thanks
                    Neil
                    B. boehmei
                    G. pulchripes
                    B. smithi

Comment

Not really, my hands/arms get a tiny bit tingly/itchy if she kicks hairs, less so if I'm just picking up prey remains in the enclosure. In either case, I wash my hands/arms thoroughly afterwards - The same goes for any interaction with an enclosure of any tarantula with urticating hairs.

It seems some people react worse than others, and some peoples reactions get worse as time goes on. I think it's one of these things where continued exposure can worsen the reaction (possibly allergic?) over time. I never used to have any bother when I started about 10 years back, but I am beginning to notice effects a little more now. I hope it doesn't continue to get worse, although it seems very possible. I've heard some long-term keepers say they can no longer keep certain species, and some say they can no longer keep any species with urticating hairs full stop.

For most people, it is fine as long as you are careful, and it's very simple - Always wash your hands before doing ANYTHING else, and it should be fine. Then time will tell...

Comment

Ps. I think Peter ^^^^ has mentioned he can't keep some species anymore, but I'm sure he keeps plenty B. boehmei (saw some pics somewhere), so he'd be a good person to hear from.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Beynon - Jones View Post
                          Ps. I think Peter ^^^^ has mentioned he can't keep some species anymore, but I'm sure he keeps plenty B. boehmei (saw some pics somewhere), so he'd be a good person to hear from.

I've got a few boehmei slings hanging about somewhere (30-ish ?) I've found that they are the most flicky of all the Brachys followed by smithi.
                          I dont and wont keep any Nhandu or Theraphosa species but I can tolerate Brachypelma for a short while but this depends on the species and the individual spider as some are more flicky than others.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your posts.

In terms of cage maintenance, how often do you do a full enclosure clean - i mean evrything, in substrate, the lot...?

Thanks
                            Neil
                            B. boehmei
                            G. pulchripes
                            B. smithi

Comment

Only if there is a problem such as mould or odour. Other than that, only when upgrading to a larger tank.

Comment

Working...
                              X