N. chromatus/N. coloratovillosus ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N. chromatus/N. coloratovillosus ID

This was sold to me as N. chromatus MM, but am starting to wonder if it might be N. coloratovillosus.

The 1st N. chromatus MM I got was majorly smaller than this one, I've been looking at pictures and it seems coloratovillosus have a more solid white covering the patella, where as chromatus have more of a white "tendon" striping... The 1st MM looks like all the pics of N. chromatus, whereas the 2nd is giving me doubts...

First MM N. chromatus

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2339.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	96547

Second, beginning to wonder about:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2518.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	96548

The 2nd would take up most of the cricket tub that the 1st is sitting in, if it were sitting in the same position as it is in the 1st pic....

I've heard of variations in MM size, but that's a pretty serious difference - The 1st was dwarfed by my female, the 2nd is slightly larger than her...

Any thoughts?
    Have a good time all the time

N chromatus have a light carapace and N coloratovillosus have a dark carapace. chromatus link >>> HERE <<< and coloratovillosus link >>> HERE <<<

I would take a guess that the 1st photo is a coloratovillosus because of the dark carapace, the 2nd is harder because of the lighting. it doesnt look either dark or light.

The size difference between different MM's means nothing.
    Ive had MM P subfusca's from 4inch to 7 inch both from the same sac. I have also seen MM H mac's from 3 inch to 5 inches

Comment

Nhandu chromatus adult males have generally a dark carapace but there is variation. The 1st picture looks fine for a N. chromatus male. Does the 2nd male have a "hairy" carapace? I can't make out from the picture. That would be an easy way to rule out N. chromatus. Nhandu species have a hairy carapace with the exception of N. chromatus.
      www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I had also read that the carapace of MM N. chromatus is dark. The One I was concerned about doesn't have a hairy/fuzzy carapace. It's quite possible that it's just a bigger one (thanks for confirming Peter), and I also know for a fact that it is several months more beyond maturity than the 1st, so perhaps that is why it is dulled down/drabber in colour...

Ps, having had a closer look at the 2nd spider, and seeing it wandering around in better light, it does just look like a bigger version of the first...
        Last edited by Adam Beynon - Jones; 11-12-13, 06:30 PM. Reason: Extra info

Comment

Yo Craig !!! Though you had dropped of the face of the planet as you've been so quiet lately

Comment

Adam, I expect all is well then

Oh I'm always lurking about Peter haha. Been kinda busy recently so haven't been online as much.
            Last edited by Craig Mackay; 12-12-13, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Nice one. thanks guys

Comment

I'm doubtful of the second. I can't add more really, except suggest, if in doubt don't risk hybridisation?

(I've no problem with the first male, isn't he alone sufficient for any breeding you might be planning?)
                British Tarantula Society
                My Lovely spiders:

Comment

Originally posted by stuart longhorn View Post
                  I'm doubtful of the second. I can't add more really, except suggest, if in doubt don't risk hybridisation?

(I've no problem with the first male, isn't he alone sufficient for any breeding you might be planning?)
                  He was until he got eaten after having got just one insertion....

Comment

I've got an adult male N. chromatus in the freezer for you Stuart.

Comment

Working...
                    X