Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The POAMA project and new exports of rare and new species. Please read!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The POAMA project and new exports of rare and new species. Please read!

Pueblo Viejo, Puerto Maldonado, Peru is the location of a growing project, the Amazon Cultural and Ecological Heritage Centre “Amazon Portal” (POAMA). This project will serve as an ‘interactive motor’ to reconcile and improve the relationships between society and the environment in hopes to establish a sustainable coexistence. This project will bring a needed economy to Pueblo Viejo and provide jobs and opportunity for the Natives. The project will include roughly 10 buildings and markets, etc. These buildings will include an auditorium, interpretation center, an aquarium to display native fish, Museum of Amazonian biology, a medicinal plant garden, indigenous markets, an art house where visitors can watch natives create unique art and purchase art, a restaurant, and much more. The goal of this project is to fund the restoration and preservation of Pueblo Viejo and bring the Native heritage back to the town. With this in mind, the goal of this is to bring awareness to the natives and locals the importance of preserving their native land and the forest. With a less destructive source of economy, the hopes are that the people of the Madre de Dios wil slow down the illegal gold mining and cutting of trees.

I am going to be touching on the Museum of Amazonian Biology here. This part of the project will display many native animals from the Amazon region, with a particular focus on reptiles, amphibians, and invertebrates. There will also be a breeding facility on site dedicated to the captive breeding of many rare and uncommon or undescribed species of Peru. The purpose of the captive bred stock is to allow LEGAL exportation of any species we work with. Once established, this will bring in additional funding we need to keep the POAMA project running and growing. The funding from this will also fund expeditions to unexplored areas in search for new species of plants and animals. This is not a project to over collect wild populations. This part of the POAMA project is an attempt to raise money to help fund POAMA's goal of the preservation of the culture, the plants, the animals, and the spirit of the Madre De Dios region. Exportation of animals will not save the rainforest. What it will do is provide much needed funding to allow POAMA to function and grow. The breeding facility will first work with invertebrates for the purpose of export, then as the project grows, it is possible we will work with reptiles and amphibians as well. Keeping genetics in tact is very important, so we plan to be very strict with our breeding. Only locality specific animals will be paired and every species exported will have been identified by a biologist as best as possible. Each species exported wil come with ACCURATE locality data, names, and breeding info so there is no confusion of where a species originated or what it is. This will hopefully prevent the confusion seen with some species currently in the hobby.

We are not against wild collecting. I would like to briefly touch on this subject. We believe that sustainable, managed collecting of wild animals will not harm populations. Species are subject to predation on a regular basis. When you responsibly collect wild animals, you just become a part of this predation and population control. Irresponsible collecting has no respect for the animals, but only has a dollars and cents interest. This leads to entire populations being wiped out due to over collection of adult breeding animals. The population then has no chance of replenishing itself. We are developing a management plan with the Peruvian government and the Native tribes of the Madre de Dios region to allow responsible collection of small numbers of wild caught stock for exportation and limited numbers of adult breeding animals. This requires us to do popuation density research of species of interest and from this information, the peruvian government gives us a percentage value we can legally collect. Small numbers of wild caught exports will help aid in preservation of genetics in the hobby. Look at B. vagans in the hobby. They are no longer a representative of the wild species. This is partially due to lack of new genetics from wild population and poor management of genetics in the hobby. With our project, we hope to slow down the dilution of genetics within the hobby.

Our focus will be on rare, uncommon, or unrepresented species in the hobby. This will include giant centipedes, amblypygids, widow species, tarantula species, other mygalomorph species, scorpions, harvestermen, true spiders, and possibly velvet worms.

The POAMA project has 9 buildings. We need one more building for the Museum of Amazonian Biology and the breeding facility. The museum is a very important integral part of the POAMA project. In order to bring the entire project to life and reach the goals we want to reach, we need the museum. Unfortunately, we have run low on funding. The land and building to be used for the Museum has come on the market for sale this month and has been offered to the project at below the market value, but will not be offered to us at this price for long as the owner has recently been swamped in medical bills and needs the money. We need $9,500 for the purchase of the land and building. We hope to inspire the hobby to support us in this attempt to fully complete this project. We will have a crowdfunding fund raiser for this project posted in the next few weeks. If you feel inspired to fully know more about this project and become part of its success, please visit the Dreamfrogs page for more information on the project.http://dreamfrogs.com/index.php?main...4e20ed698bb7ae Note: Dreamfrogs is currently updating their page, so some links may not work just yet.

We will soon have our project posted on a crowdfunding site with information on the project as well as a profile of the head of this project (Antonio Guerrero, a biologist of the Madre de Dios region) along with Audio/video files and pictures. DreamFrogs is a tourism business which supports our project and has agreed to make it worth your while to helping fund this project. They have agreed to give away some free tours in Peru in return for YOU helping this project. All you have to do is get to Peru. They will take care of the rest. This gives donors a chance to join us on some of our expeditions to unexplored areas as wel as find new species and collect them for our facility. Other benefits of donating would be recieving free stock from our first shipments of rare and new species. We can't do this without help from the community. Think of it as treasure hunting.... People do not go treasure hunting and then pay for the trip after they have found their treasure. They have to pay for the trip and equipment first. Only then, can they go hunt the treasure. We are looking for treasure hunters. If this interests you, please visit the link below and look for our crowdfunding page in the next few weeks. I will link it here.

If you feel the need, feel free to contact Dreamfrogs for more information. If you all need more convincing, give me some feedback and I will do my best to answer questions and provide information. I will have a profile on Antonio Guerrera soon.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely

Joshua Richards

Just to clarify, I am not new to the arachnid community. I have been a part of the hobby for more than 20 years. Look for my posts on Arachnoboards or the American Tarantula Society. I am only new here. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
    X