Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genus Citharognathus

Howdy folks!

I'm somewhat of an Asian tarantula enthusiast, and am particularly enamoured with genera from the Selenocosmiinae and Ornithoctoninae subfamilies. I recently stumbled upon a genus in Ornithoctoninae by the name of Citharognathus (note: different from the New World genus Citharocanthus). Apparently there are only two described species: Hosei, described by Pocock in 1895, and Tongmianensis, described by Zhu, Li and Song much more recently in 2002. I've found the paper describing the latter, as well as a seemingly-translated description of Hosei, but very little information otherwise, let alone any photographs! Would it therefore be safe to assume neither species have ever been available in the hobby? Has anyone ever kept them, known anyone that's kept them, seen or known of a preserved specimen, even seen them in their natural habitat? That translated page mentions neither are kept in captivity, and that Hosei hasn't even been seen since Pocock described it, but I wouldn't be a very good researcher if I just relied on one source now would I

Thanks in advance!

I've never heard of the genus but thanks for the first paper, thats another one to add to the growing collection

Comment

Interesting! Thanks for posting.
      Never seen or heard of it. Would be interesting to see if anyone ever kept it.
      Google came up with what looks to be a caresheet and a picture.
      Link: http://tc.wangchao.net.cn/baike/detail_2941058.html
      Pic: http://image2.wangchao.net.cn/baike/1337898911784.jpg
      So maybe there's some people in asia who keep these.

Comment

Diligent Google-ing, sir! Out of interest, what did you enter to come up with those results? I was trawling for some time and those links I offered in the opening post were the best I could find.

It looks as though they're found in mainland China and also in Malaysia; as you say there must be someone keeping them in those parts of the world I'm gonna keep asking around UK and European hobbyists. Y'never know.

That pic is awesome, by the way! I'd love to keep one/both

Comment

Honestly I just typed in Cytharognathus Checked images and saw a picture which had the name in it. Searching google images can be very misleading if you don't know what you're looking for so that came in handy. Just checked out the site it was attached too too bad I can't read any of it.

Comment

A reverse image search for the picture brings up a couple of other asian sites which seem to be ads of someone selling them. This also yielded another pic!

Pic: http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/581149...1267401748.jpg

Comment

Interesting stuff! Thanks for the links I've been asking a few South Asia experts on Facebook and they've concluded those images on the Chinese page in fact aren't Citharognathus...! It is something I should've spotted in fact, after reading the description of Tongmianensis:

Diagnosis.—Differs from Ornithoctonus Pocock 1892 and
              other genera of Ornithoctoninae by: the clypeus less than
              width of eye group (Fig. 1A), leg IV distinctly longer and
              thicker than leg I, tibia and metatarsus IV thickest (Fig. 1F),
              tibia IV wider than femur IV

Comparing these points with legs I and IV of the spider in the picture unfortunately rules out it being a Citharognathus, which is somewhat frustrating! I've found someone in Sweden who says they once had a C. Hosei in their collection, and will attempt to find some pictures soon. Stay tuned

Comment

Good you noticed that haven't had time to read the description (christmas parties etc, off to another one in an hour)
                Would be nice to see some real pics!

Comment

Working...
                X