X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UVB bulbs/ keeping your 'T' safe?

Hi all,

This is my first post...

I've been reading the Tarantula Keepers Guide for a while now, great book!

I don't have a Tarantula... yet. Currently I have two Boas, in my 'Snake room'. However, I am planning to get my first 'T' a Grammostola Pulchra in the summer. Here's my question;

In my snake enclosures I have a 2.0 UVB 'Reptil-glo' flurocent bulb. If I keep my 'T' in the same room is there a safe distance to place my 'T's enclosure away from the UVB... or should I keep the 'T' enclosure away at the far end of the room, where there is no direct light on them?

The snake enclosures are along the length of the room which is more or less rectangular...

Thank you in advance for your thoughts - Evan.
    Last edited by EVAN_PARKINSON; 09-01-14, 04:40 PM.
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]British Tarantula Society[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]My Collection:[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)][/COLOR]

Its a light. Thats all it is. Dont worry about it.

Comment

If you provide your T with a hiding bark cork, where she/he can go if shadow is needed, then no problems. By the way, welcome to the hobby!
      Come and visit us: http://mygales.esy.es

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Charrière View Post
        If you provide your T with a hiding bark cork, where she/he can go if shadow is needed, then no problems. By the way, welcome to the hobby!
        Hey Guys,

thanks for the replies, I've decided to allocate one end of the room to the keeping of 'T's and seeing as the snake vivs will all be facing out from the wall, there won't be any direct UVB light on my future 'T's, plus I have a dimmer switch in the room itself. So they can enjoy a less intrusive set up.

Now..... Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm looking to buy a Grammostola Pulchra (confirmed female) 5cm+ leg span... But it won't be for a couple of months..

Bugzuk.com have one (4.5- 7cm £50, though they don't say what sex it is, and they don't guarantee 'live arrival' which worries me.. Any and all help would be most appreciated!

all the best - Evan.

Comment

Few months ? Wait until the 3rd weekend in May and come to the BTS exhibition where there can be around 30,000 tarantulas for sale >>> http://exhibition.thebts.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
            Few months ? Wait until the 3rd weekend in May and come to the BTS exhibition where there can be around 30,000 tarantulas for sale >>> http://exhibition.thebts.co.uk/
            Hey Peter,

what a fantastic idea! .... (Evil cackle, cogs spinning, etc., etc.)

I live in Ireland.. So I could get a return flight to Birmingham(£65) which is only 20 minutes from the Ricoh centre.

Hopefully someone will be able to sell me a G. pulchra & will be prepared to ship to Ireland (fingers crossed), worst case scenario, I get to see loads of 'T's....

Cheers - for the heads-up!

Comment

Originally posted by EVAN_PARKINSON View Post
              ...G. pulchra...
              i want one too!
              B. boehmei
              G. pulchripes
              B. smithi

Comment

The glass in your tank(s) will filter out any harmful UV quite effectively. I wouldn't worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Strick View Post
                  The glass in your tank(s) will filter out any harmful UV quite effectively. I wouldn't worry.
                  Hey Mike thanks for your reply, I'll be using a built in (built into the wall) wardrobe at the far end of the room, I'll remove the doors and use a curtain so that the 'T's still get a sense of daylight and daylight hours and so an Idea of the seasons Roll on May and the BTS exhibition!

Comment

A day/night cycle is probably beneficial but I don't think anyone's actually done a study to prove it. I've been wondering about setting up a low-angled 'sunset' lamp on a timer after hearing about spiders in the wild being observed basking in the mouth of their burrows in the evening sun. Some of mine certainly seem to make for any sunlight that hits the corner of their otherwise shaded tanks. It would be interesting to see if they could be persuaded to show the same evening basking behaviour in captivity.

If this year's is your first BTS show, you're in for a treat!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Strick View Post
                      A day/night cycle is probably beneficial but I don't think anyone's actually done a study to prove it. I've been wondering about setting up a low-angled 'sunset' lamp on a timer after hearing about spiders in the wild being observed basking in the mouth of their burrows in the evening sun. Some of mine certainly seem to make for any sunlight that hits the corner of their otherwise shaded tanks. It would be interesting to see if they could be persuaded to show the same evening basking behaviour in captivity.

If this year's is your first BTS show, you're in for a treat!
                      Hey Mike, speaking strictly as a complete beginner, I can't say either way (with any authority) that a day night cycle will be beneficial to my 'T's, But my gut feeling is that most animals internal clock is regulated by the sun, not only night and day but seasonally too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to experiment with the needs of my 'T's, I don't have enough experience.. But Shultz does talk about this under the heading 'Ray of light in his book...

Yes, this is my first BTS Show, I can't wait! Every time I think about it, I get a big ol' smile on my face

Comment

Working...
                      X