Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0312.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	96550Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0315.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	96549Hi folks I recently bought a Acanthoscurria Geniculata (Giant white knee) Approx 50mm . Unfortunately it must have just started its moult during transit in the delivery pot .When we opened it up we found it half out of the moult but with badly deformed legs . One had already dropped off . one back leg arches over its back two more not much better and a couple of front legs are bent on the tips . This was about a week ago , apart from this its active and eating , it drags itself about in a spritely fashion . I know it will not survive its next moult like this but I need desperate help with what I have read has to be done next (PULLING THE OFFENDING LEGS OFF ). I don't want to sound over dramatic but I don't know how to do it without further damage . Does anyone live in Lancashire that can help me please . Thank you . P.S One of the legs shown detached is just a moult skin .
    Last edited by Stephen Haworth; 14-01-14, 07:38 PM.

Leave the spider alone. let it harden up and once it has hardened up gently hold the spider and using a sexing probe or similar break of the old skin. as long as the spid has water to drink it should make the next moult.

Must say though there is a very good chance it may not last the night.

R

Comment

We have had it now nearly a week it has no old skin left it lost that when we first got it along with the leg . It has actively dragged itself around to chase and catch crickets twice just with its front legs . This fellow has a serious will to live . It acts like any of the six other T's we have just not quite as athletic . Am already very attached to this chap don't want to loose him. P.S You haven't seen stealth till you see him stalk dinner.

Comment

Sorry to hear but it sounds like it is hanging in there. Why not upload a vid to youtube and post the link here for us to see this "stealth"

Comment

Couldn't risk leaving it too late ( the moult ) so after reading The Tarantula Keepers Guide several times and internet hunting for info and tips (not very much) decided to take the plunge and do the deed . Bought some cow hide rigger gloves and had a decent pair of tweezers to hand I got on with it . To say this was unpleasant would be an understatement . You would not believe how strong a 50mm Tarantula can be and how much grip they have . Anyhow I grabbed hold of the leg with the tweezers , it went bloody ballistic . Long story short its now missing another leg (the correct one ) and there was no bleeding . Put her/him back in the tank and its moving about ok . Will let you know how it goes .

Comment

Working...
          X