Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enclosure acclimation?

Hi all,

As I've mentioned before.. I'm heading over to The BTS Exhibition in May . I'll be getting my first 'T's (originally I was hoping for just a G. pulchra Confirmed female with a 2" plus leg span.... Long shot I know), but I've now made a Shortlist of the 'T's I would like to start with;

G.pulchra (fingers crossed)
    B.vagans
    B.emilia
    A.seemani
    Euathlus sp

I would like to get all five ...assuming I can get confirmed females with a 2" plus leg span.....

Now, here's my question... Would it be reasonable to buy the enclosures at the Exhibition (there by getting a reduction) or is it necessary to have the enclosures set up and acclimatised beforehand? I've no problem paying the extra and having everything set up beforehand, the welfare of the Tarantulas would be paramount.... I just thought if it's ok to buy the enclosures at the Exhibition, I'd do that.

All advice welcome and appreciated - cheers in advance.
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]British Tarantula Society[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]My Collection:[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)][/COLOR]

I'm not sure what you mean by having the enclosures acclimatised

What i do is . . .
    Tip the substrate into the enclosure to a depth of at least 2-3 inches.
    Press the substrate down firmly as tarantulas do not like it loose underfoot.
    Add a hide (and decor if you want) add small waterbowl (with water NOT gel) . . . . . . . . . and put spider in.

Shouldnt take much more than 2-3 minutes to set up

Comment

Hey Peter,

thanks for the reply

what I meant by enclosure acclimation is;

It took 2 days for the heat and humidity in my Boa enclosures to get up to the required levels, I realise Boas have very little in common with Tarantulas, but I just wondered if a similar 'build up' was necessary, but if not, all the better!

thanks for your mini guide

By the way, are you the same Pete Roach that will be exhibiting at the BTS Exhibition in May? If so, do you think you'll be able to provide me with the 'T's on my short list?

all the best - Evan.

Comment

Originally posted by EVAN_PARKINSON View Post

what I meant by enclosure acclimation is;

It took 2 days for the heat and humidity in my Boa enclosures to get up to the required levels, I realise Boas have very little in common with Tarantulas, but I just wondered if a similar 'build up' was necessary, but if not, all the better!
        Nah, just throw them in Room temps will be fine just dont use ice cold substrate from outside.

Originally posted by EVAN_PARKINSON View Post
        By the way, are you the same Pete Roach that will be exhibiting at the BTS Exhibition in May? If so, do you think you'll be able to provide me with the 'T's on my short list?
        That will be me
        I'll definitely have a few 3 inch B vagans for sale. I have a few G pulchra but none sexed at the moment, if I can find you a female I will let you know before the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
          Nah, just throw them in Room temps will be fine just dont use ice cold substrate from outside.

That will be me
          I'll definitely have a few 3 inch B vagans for sale. I have a few G pulchra but none sexed at the moment, if I can find you a female I will let you know before the day.
          Excellent!

I'll gladly do business And thanks again for your help, very much appreciated!

- Evan

Comment

Working...
          X