Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby Mexican Red Knee

Hi.

I have had my baby Smithi for about 14 months now, and he/she has molted 3 times since January 1st 2013. The last molt was back in May last year, 8 months ago, and I was just wondering why he/she hasn't molted since?

The spider is kept at a good temperature, good humidity, eats well and always has access to water which is only sprayed to the insides of the enclosure.

The spider is about 1 Inch leg span, and kept in a round enclosure about 3 inches in diameter, is this too small for the spider? Is it the enclosure size that could be stunting the growth of the spider? I know the enclosure needs to be at least twice the leg span, but I am thinking maybe the enclosure could be too small now.

If I do need to rehouse my spider, will a plastic Cricket tub be ok to use? I mean the tubs that the Crickets come in when purchased from the pet shop?

Thanks

Everything sounds normal to me

If you want to speed up things just up the temps and feeding.

ps. What do you class as good temperature and humidity ?

Comment

Hi Peter.

The temp is fluctuating around 68 - 72F, and the humidity is just below 50%, as I understand these species like it dry.

The spider looks fine, eats around 6 to 8 size 1 cricks per month.

Problem is, I don't know if the spider has molted since last May because I work away from home for 3 weeks at a time, and I was wondering if he/she has molted and possibly buried the shed skin!! I like to give the enclosure a complete clean out after each molt to lower the risk of mite infestation, so I cannot really tell whether the spider has molted or not since last May unless I do another clean out and look for the old skin? I don't want to stress the spider too much by cleaning too often.

Comment

Panic over. My baby MRK molted last night (16/02/14). 9 months since the last molt.

Comment

Congrats. As you're probably aware, the moults will get less frequent with time. As a general rule, the bigger the spider, the bigger the interval between moults.

Comment

Congrats. As you're probably aware, the moults will get less frequent with time. As a general rule, the bigger the spider, the bigger the interval between moults.
            Thanks Stuart.

I did wonder if this was true. I understand they will moult less frequently when they reach Juvie or early adult stage, but not as less frequent when they are still babies.

I guess I could be in for a much longer wait until the next moult??? That's what I expected from owning a Mexican Red Knee

Comment

Working...
            X