Spider ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stuart Baker View Post
    so any more opinions on the identity of this spider?
    Well no long hairs on the carapce so very reduced chance it has Nhandu genes possibly indicating that it is just a colour variety.

Nice little project for someone would be to photograph each stage from sling to adult of all these black white and red species giving a possible photo id for each stage of development.........I dont have the time or the inclination to do this............so someone else can grab this if they desire......good article for the journal.

R

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Gabriel View Post
      Who said anything about killing the spider? could possibly work out if it is a hybrid from a moult?
      I think I got this from the - "we could use the specimen in the museum" part. A bias here but when I think "I'd like it for the museum" this doesn't typically mean "alive".

In any case, my point was more about how this question doesn't really require an immediate answer, so there's no panic as such. If it's a hybrid it'll still be a hybrid in 2 years times, alive or dead and vice versa. As you point out, it would be interesting to document the development which you can't do from a dead spider.

Comment

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but she has now moulted. Any new ideas?

Comment

Odd looking isn't it, the carapace colour can vary, it's just not a typical looking one if it's natural variation. it's got me thinking about maybe 3 times In the last year I've seen people posting pics of their mature male 'Acanthoscurria geniculata' when it was in fact 'Nhandu chromatus' , with the typical black carapace, making them appear very similar, but you can see differences in the white at the proximal end of the metatarsi, slim medial line in A. geniculata and a typically thicker, often arrowhead marking in N. chromatus. I don't know how genetically different they are, if the unthinkable was to happen, I know that one such chromatus pic I saw, the owner stated that it was an old pic, and he was sent off on a breeding loan to meet a nice lady geniculata and was unaware, and the guy with the female clearly was, or he would have said something. I'm not suggesting that's what's happened with yours, it just made me think.

You refer to it as 'she', confirmed female? Do you still have the moult? Pics of spermathecae would be a good start if so.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by lee beck; 20-02-15, 11:01 PM.

Comment

She is definitely a she. I do still have the moult, but whether I can get a decent pic of the spemathecae is another matter. I'll give it a go, though. I'm pretty sure it's not A. genic. Chromatus x coloratovillosus would be my guess, at the moment. Could easily just be an atypical chromatus, though.

Comment

Working...
            X