Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on odd Chaco Golden Knee behaviour please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on odd Chaco Golden Knee behaviour please?

Hi everyone

It's been just over a year now since i got my first T, a beautiful little Chaco golden Knee (g. pulchripes) I've named Morgana. I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on a new behaviour I've noticed over the past 4 days or so. She has recently gotten into the habit of spending a lot of time pressed tightly against the front doors of her tank, with the underside of the prosoma facing me. This wouldn't ordinarily concern me too much, but its a rapid change in behaviour for an animal who has always seemingly preferred the darkness of her burrow to being out in the open!

I'm also worried about her disinterest in her food, she is ignoring the locusts completely, even allowing them to climb on her. Should i be worried about these? any advice would be really appreciated, and a real weight off my mind.

Thanks Guys

Has there been any change in temperature? Particularly the temperature within the room? Tarantulas tend to be drawn towards heat, and press themselves up against the side the heat is coming from, so it may have something to do with this?

The disinterest in food may be an indication of an upcoming moult... You've not mentioned moulting, so I'm just speculating...
    Have a good time all the time

Comment

Thank you for your reply

I think you're right with the temperature issue, while the thermometer hasn't registered a change inside the tank, there are several new electric fixtures that could easily be generating enough heat to attract her attention.

With regards to her moult i'm genuinely unsure. Her last moult was at the beginning of january (should've mentioned that in the original post, sorry), and I haven't seen any signs of the premoult, like the bald patch on her abdomen. I have also just been to check on her and she's sat beside an eaten locust, so maybe she was just not hungry when offered food.

Thanks again for helping out

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan Cassidy View Post

I think you're right with the temperature issue, while the thermometer hasn't registered a change inside the tank,
        What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temperature ?
        If you are using one of the dial types, I would suggest that you throw it in the nearest bin as these are totally inaccurate and are an absolutely useless piece of junk (all types and makes)

Originally posted by Jordan Cassidy View Post
        With regards to her moult i'm genuinely unsure. . . . . . . I haven't seen any signs of the premoult, like the bald patch on her abdomen.
        A bald patch has nothing whatsoever to do with moulting. All that means is that the Chaco has been annoyed or stressed enough to kick the abdomen hair off.
        When the Chaco is ready to moult the bald patch will slowly darken until it is black and shiny.

Comment

With regards to the disinterest in food, are you absolutely sure that she is a female? Some tarantulas lose interest in food after their ultimate moult as a male. Just a thought...

Comment

Working...
          X