Can anybody tell the sex of my T?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anybody tell the sex of my T?

Hi. My Chilean Rose moulted about 6 weeks ago and now it's really aggressive, which I don't mind really because I'm not someone that wants to handle their spiders all of the time, plus now she has a bit more personality.I've heard that Ts can change personality after a moult and also that males are more prone to becoming aggressive. I was told by the reptile shop that she's definitely a female, but I don't really think they know what they're doing, judging by the high humidity, drenched tanks that they keep their Chileans in.
    The reason why I'm posting this is to see if any of you can tell the sex of my spider by looking at the photos attached. I realise that you really need to do this by looking at the moult, but I couldn't get my head around that. I'm just curious to know... Many thanks. Justin.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5923.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	96554Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5921.jpg
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	96555

I'm afraid nobody will be able to give you an answer from those photos. There are people who can sex spiders from a ventral view (by looking at the underside), but this is unreliable at best. Using the shed skin is the only reliable way. Do you have a shed skin from it?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0685.jpg
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	94489Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0687.jpg
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	94487Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0683.jpg
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	94488Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0687.jpg
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	94487

Thanks Stuart for the reply. I thought that it would be a bit of a long shot. I've attached a few pics of the moult, but not sure if this will help any further.
      Thanks again. Justin.
      Last edited by Justin Lycett; 14-04-14, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Can't tell from those pictures, I'm afraid. I'd need a close up of the inside of the abdomen, between the front pair book lungs.

Comment

Here you go. The skin is pretty dry and falling apart, so these pics may not help either.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5949.jpg
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	94490Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5958.jpg
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	94491

Comment

Congratulations, it's a girl!

Comment

This should help for future reference Justin

It's old, you've all seen it before but just for Stuart so he can link to the BTS web site now. The only real accurate way to sex a tarantula is by examining the epigynal area located between the anterior book lungs of the tarantulas shed skin but to do this you must first know what you are looking for. http://i53.photobucket
              Have a good time all the time

Comment

Thank you Stuart for your help, that's great news!
                Thanks Adam, too, for the info.
                Justin

Comment

Working...
                X