Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-Molt Behaviour

Hi all,
    Well, our A. Genic has recently molted and all appears to have gone well (I think at least). Some features of the event seemed not though entirely as I expected, but as a newbie to all this what do I know anyway! This is our (first time) experience of this fascinating process - just for interest and because I found it quite exciting really!

She went into pre-molt a for a couple of weeks or so, stopped feeding, and took to spending much more time in her hide. Also, her abdomen appeared about ready to burst (not over-fed) and had turned from pinkish to indigo/black. She was also more nervous and sluggish than usual, and had become rather dull coloured.
    In the event my wife noticed some activity of sorts in the hide and upon closer inspection saw that she was on her back apparently taking her old coat off. The whole process seems only to have taken 2-3 hours but, interestingly, there was no sign of a webbing mat, or an attempt to lay one. We didn't see too much of the process unfortunately because we were mindful of the advice not to disturb or stress the T unnecessarily during this time. As newbies this was a bit of a worrying time for us because I had (unnecessary as it turned out) concerns regarding there being sufficient space in the hide for her to 'undress' - after all I have no idea how smart (or thick) a T. is regarding these matters?

Eventually we peered into the hide again (tentatively and briefly with a torch) to see her right-way up but wedged between the hide wall and the newly shed exuvium. What we could see also was her shiny new legs and abdomen (no baldy patch), which was quite bit smaller that the pre-molt 'bulb'. Well, we worried again how we were going to get the old coat (exuvium) out but left her to her own devices. However as it turned out there was no need for concern as, peering in to her tank, we saw that she had tossed it out herself.
    Great I thought as I carefully picked it out with the tweezers, now I can confirm she is a 'she' (which is what I bought her as). No such luck! Although the exuvium was in almost perfect condition this was true only at the exclusion of the abdomen. The bulb, and bit where one sexes a T. (as far as I understand this) was completely scrunged up, like a balloon that had burst in fact!. Oh well, have to wait till next time I guess! This brings me to a puzzle or two the experts here might be able to help me with, as follows;

If, before a molt, the new exo-skeleton is inside the old one how does a T. get to be bigger, post-molt, than that which it was smaller than previously? (it seems like Tardis thing!)
    Also, when she eventually emerged from her hide (three days later) she stood in a somewhat odd pose - the four rear legs positioned quite normally but the four forward one close together, draw in, so as to cover her pedipulps and fangs - any idea why?
    And lastly, as juvenile, roughly 3-3.5 inches, how long should I wait before offering food?

Thanks for any help and advice and apologies for the long post.

- Geoff

Originally posted by Dr Geoff Eavy View Post
    Well, we worried again how we were going to get the old coat (exuvium) out but left her to her own devices. However as it turned out there was no need for concern as, peering in to her tank, we saw that she had tossed it out herself.
    The spider will sometimes kick it out and sometimes it wont, either way it is not a problem

Great I thought as I carefully picked it out with the tweezers, now I can confirm she is a 'she' (which is what I bought her as). No such luck! Although the exuvium was in almost perfect condition this was true only at the exclusion of the abdomen. The bulb, and bit where one sexes a T. (as far as I understand this) was completely scrunged up, like a balloon that had burst in fact!.
    99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999 % of moults are like this. Not something to worry about and an easy problem to solve.

Place the scrunched up moult into a cup of tepid water with one drop of washing up liquid added.
    This will break the surface tension of the water and allow the moult to absorb some water
    Gently swish the moult around for about 10-15 seconds or until it sinks
    Carefully remove the moult onto some paper toweling to absorb excess water
    Now carefully open the scrunched up abdomen with toothpicks or similar.
    The abdomen skin can tear very easily so take it slow and careful
    The last part can take a little practice but the more you do it the easier it becomes

If, before a molt, the new exo-skeleton is inside the old one how does a T. get to be bigger, post-molt, than that which it was smaller than previously? (it seems like Tardis thing!)
    A tarantula moves by hydraulic's. After it moults and while the new 'skin' is still soft and pliable it will pump bodily fluids to expand the new, larger body.
    In many cases the spider will frequently lay stretched out in strange positions while the new skin hardens

Also, when she eventually emerged from her hide (three days later) she stood in a somewhat odd pose - the four rear legs positioned quite normally but the four forward one close together, draw in, so as to cover her pedipulps and fangs - any idea why?
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Tarantulas

And lastly, as juvenile, roughly 3-3.5 inches, how long should I wait before offering food?
    I would wait for at least 7 days, but 10 -14 days would be better.
    In general the larger the spider, the longer the period before it will accept prey.

My 8 inch AF genic recently moulted and I will not be offering any food for at least a month
    Last edited by Peter Roach; 16-05-14, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Hi Dr Eavy,

First off let me say welcome to the hobby! I'm glad you were able, despite your curiosity, to let you T moult in peace being a first time experience. Good for you! I also have an A. Gen, who is 14cm (including legspan) Now I'm not an expert and have only been in the hobby for about 5 years but maybe I can answer your questions. I'm sure if anything I have stated is incorrect, one of the more knowledgeable members will correct me.

The bulb, and bit where one sexes a T. (as far as I understand this) was completely scrunged up, like a balloon that had burst in fact!. Oh well, have to wait till next time I guess!
      This happens a lot, however there are quite a few videos on youtube that can show you how to sex a T's molt. Eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIYzbCLTVww

When a T molts and shed it's exo-skeleton, the new exo-skeleton is soft. Remember that huge abdomen of hers? Well the fluids/blood (haemolymph) that had been stored in that bum of hers gets pumped into the body expanding it to the correct size of the new exo-skeleton and that is why her bum shrinks after a molt and she gets bigger.

Her fangs are probably not hardened as yet. A T's fangs are their life, she is just taking extra precaution in protecting them.

I can't give you an exact estimate on time, can vary depending on a variety of conditions like temperature, how stressed your T is, etc. I usually wait at least a week and a half to 2 weeks, then check to see if her fangs are completely black. Mine like to climb the sides of their enclosures from time to time to do 'yoga' so I just shine some light at her underside and inspect her fangs. At mine's current size I usually let her take a month, she does what she wants anyway.

If yours doesn't climb, I'd say wait 2 weeks just to be safe, as long as there is water in her enclosure she will be fine, don't worry. At the end of the 2 weeks, I'd just get a little bit of water and pour it in slowly near to her (not on her or within 3 cm of her, don't want to scare her) and see if she attacks it. Usually when my A. Gen is hungry she jumps right after it, even when i'm refilling her water bowl.

Comment

Thank you both so much for taking the time to answer my queries - excellent explanations and much needed advice, really appreciated!

I'll take your advice and leave it a couple of weeks then, as you suggest, see if she has the feeding response back (she was positively ferocious prior to molting). My only problem is my wife's still has 'mammal thinking' regarding feeding and thinks I'm being cruel by starving the poor creature (this will be worse because her abdomen is now smaller so, on my wife's view, she is clearly starving to death!).

The tarantula 'hydraulics' certainly explains this fascinating process, and the ideas regarding protecting/hardening fangs makes perfect sense too. I did notice (I got a glimpse), and was struck by, how white her new fangs were (not to mention big - no chance we will be trying to handle her! ). Can anyone perhaps point me in the direction of further, more in depth, reading on tarantula anatomy/physiology?
        Anyway, many thanks again,

(I forgot to mention, I'll give it a go with the suggestions regarding unravelling the old molt - there really doesn't seem to be much to work with but it certainly sounds worth a try!)
        -Geoff
        Last edited by Dr Geoff Eavy; 17-05-14, 10:40 AM. Reason: Addition

Comment

Hi Geoff.

For further readings, maybe these three books could help you:

"Tarantula Keepers Guide" by Schultz & Schultz, classic reading, comprehensive and excellent.
          "Biology of spiders" by Foelix, more on the biologic and scientific side (for all spiders).
          "Vogelspinnen" by Schmidt, if you are able to read german.

Enjoy!
          Come and visit us: http://mygales.esy.es

Comment

Working...
          X