Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No experience; need help

Hay everybody,

My name is Xenia (19y), I live in Belgium.
    I'm still new to this hobby, so I was hoping to get some advice from you guys.

So three days ago I got myself a Brazilian white knee.
    She's very small (see pic), and my first question was if somebody out there has any idea how old she might be ?

Now if you check the bold spot on her ass, you might notice (if the picture quality allows it) there's missing a layer of skin.
    And I've seen how dry pieces of skin had hung to her butt, and later, fell of.
    So I was wondering if there's anything I can do? Or is it just a waiting matter until she molts?

And now my biggest concern: she won't eat.
    I am aware of how weirdly long tarantulas can go without food, but since I keep reading about what excellent eaters BWK's are, I got a little worried...

okay, so don't hesitate to reply.
    all help will be appreciated!
    Attached Files

Hi Xenia,

Nothing to worry about here. Your spider is about to moult, probably within a week. You can tell because the "skin" has turned a shiny, dark black colour and this is noticeable where the bald patch is. Normally the skin would be a pink/peach colour. This is because the new exoskeleton has formed below the current one. This is also why the spider is refusing to eat. Best thing to do right now is to leave the spider in peace and it is especially important to leave it undisturbed whilst it is actually moulting. The spider will be very fragile for a few days after moulting so try not to disturb it and resist the temptation to offer food too early, it'll likely be refused anyway. Leave it for 2-3 weeks before offering food again and you'll find it'll be back to it's normal, greedy self. There is plenty information about moulting on this (and many other forums) and a google search for tarantula moulting will give you lots of information to read too (something to pass the time while you wait for the moult to happen )
    www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the info! I had no idea that the shinny darkspot meant it was a new exoskeleton.
      But there's one thing I forgot to mention..
      In the store where I got her I saw her 'old jacket' lying around in her terrarium.
      And it seemed like the store-owner was already feeding her, so I figured she had started eating again after her moult.
      That's why I didn't link her eating problem to the recent moult.

Tommorow I'll ask the storeowner if she had indeed just moulted and started eating afterwords.
      (I am pretty sure, but just in case I'm wrong...)

So what if she recently had moulted?
      The thing I was afraid of is that she's been overdoing the hair throwing thing.
      And isn't their skin softer/more fragile after the moult?
      So could it be that the skin came of due to so much fraction?
      [if this is the dumbest thing you've ever heard, please keep in mind that I've just been into tarantulas for a very short time!]

Grtz, Xenia

She is moulting so often because it's a fast-growing species
      Last edited by XeniaSmirnova; 06-09-14, 02:20 PM. Reason: I think i figured it out..

Comment

Hi Xenia,

I am 100% certain your spider is very close to a moult and that is why it is not eating. Normally the tarantula's exoskeleton looks a peachy colour like in this photo: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ting_hairs.JPG

When a moult is imminent the exoskeleton takes on a dark appearance as the new exoskeleton and fresh set of hairs is fully formed under the surface like in this photo and yours: http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/BsmithiMolt-010.jpg

Don't worry about the bald patch. She will kick her urticating hairs off to defend her self directly but it's also perfectly normal behaviour to for her to lay hairs around her tank and burrow to defend her territory (particularly when preparing to moult).

Everything is happening as normal
        If you haven't already, may I suggest you get yourself a good book to read? This one is usually recommended: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tarantula-Ke...+keepers+guide
        www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
        X