Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to place heat mats in enclosure

Hello all,

I've recently purchased an adult female lasiodora parahybana and keep stressing as to the best place to put the heat mat. I currently have the mat underneath my terrarium and only covering half the enclosure. I've read so many conflicting posts online saying its better to put this on the side of the enclosure as the heat can penetrate more? Also how long should I leave the heat mat on during a cold english winter. Finally, ive heard that you can sit the heat mat on aluminum foil to force the heat/infra red into the enclosure, what's your thoughts on the above? Is there any fire risks etc? Thanks for reading!

Always place the heatmat on the side NEVER underneath

Comment

Hello Matt. As Peter rightly said, it's better to put the heatmat on the side. In the wild, a T dig a burrow to escape heat underground. If you place the heatmat under the enclosure, your T might not find a "colder" place. Besides, a heatmat under the substrate could dry everything. If you put it on a side of the enclosure, your T have choices whether she wants to stay against it or not. That being said, you should be cautious of several things: as told before, heatmat could dry your enclosure dramatically. Watch your waterdish closely to keep it full and overflow it sometimes if needed. Heatmat can also be too hot for a T: and, as flies are attracted by light, Ts are sometimes attracted by heat. Your T could be burnt because of that.

I don't know about weather issues in England (guess it's cold and foggy!), but in Switzerland (my country), it's rather cold too. If your flat/house is warm enough for you to stand in (i.e. between 20°c and 23°c during the day, and 18°c at night), you shouldn't need a heatmat (at least as far as you have no breeding project). Another solution could be to warm the room a little more (if possible and if it's too cold). I've kept my L parahybana at the aformentioned temperatures for several years without any problems.

About the aluminium foil, I have no idea. Maybe someone else will chime in! But once again: beware not to keep your parahybana too hot. It could kill her. They are not like reptiles who need more heat. In fact, they are a lot easier to care for!

"Un grand bravo" for your new L parahybana! They are beautiful, huge and very interesting tarantulas! Enjoy!
      Come and visit us: http://mygales.esy.es

Comment

Thank you for the sound advice, I've whipped the heat mat and put it on the side wedged between my other terrarium (as I'm planning to buy a GBB) soon. This way I guess I can heat both T's with one mat my eventual plan is to buy a little room heater and do away with the mats entirely!

Comment

Excellent plan! And GBB are absolutely stunning: heavy webbers, active and visible, great eaters and sooo beautiful!!!

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk
          Come and visit us: http://mygales.esy.es

Comment

I have my heatmats on the wall behind my tanks. That way in milder weather I can pull the tanks slightly away from the wall to lower the ambient temperature. I have polystyrene sheet behind the heat mats to insulate them so that I don't lose too much heat into the wall.

Comment

Thanks for your advice Mike. I think my plan is to create a cabinet similar to a video I seen on YouTube and implement your idea of putting the heat mats on the inside wall. Might be some time yet, gotta get permission from the wife first. Haha!

Comment

All my tarantulas tanks have the heat mat placed underneath the tanks but just half of it. That way I feel is better and keeps one side a little warmer, the heat mats are only 20w so not that much heat come out of them. Done it this way past 16 years and never had an issue. Just got a nice salmon pink and the mat for him is all the way under and he just loves it like this and is very happy.

Comment

Hi Andy, thanks for the advice. I've been using the heat mats on the side since I started this thread so I think I'll keep to this method as the seem to be healthy I've also got a GBB and avic avic for Christmas so I can't wait! I'll post some pictures of the two I have soon so you can all see my current setups

Comment

Working...
                  X