Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will my tarantula freeze to death?!

Hello, fellow arachnophiles!
    I am very new to the tarantula hobby, and am due to receive my first T, a Brachypelma Albopilosum, tomorrow!! I am very excited, but also have one query/concern. As most of us are undoubtedly aware, it's getting pretty chilly here in the UK. I have a heat mat installed on the side of the enclosure, and with the heat mat AND my radiator on, the temperature inside the enclosure reaches 23/24C. However, without the radiator on (our central heating only comes on when the temperature within the house drops past a certain point) it can get as low as 20C during the day and 18C during the night on the 'cool side'. On the side/corner with the heat pad the temperature is consistently 25/26C. Are these temperatures okay, or too cool for my T? It's not a teeny tiny sling, but it's pretty small
    (about 2" in DSL, according to the breeder). I am so worried my poor T will freeze and die! Maybe I'm just being a typical newbie and worrying over nothing, but I'm petty concerned. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. On a side note, my crickets have no supplemental heat and are thriving.

Thanks in advance!
    Hannah

Anyone got any advice to help a desperate newbie out?

Comment

I keep my Ts at room temperature in our warmest room. between 15 and 20 in the night, just over 20 in the day and they're fine.

I had a Brachypelma Emilia, who was fine at this temperature for 8 years, although she had a molting issue and died last week I'm very sure this had nothing to do with temperature though.

It sounds like what you have is ideal, plus any Brachypelma is quite tough and easy to care for, so don't worry too much about it.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Many thanks, Stephen. That is very reassuring. Aw, sorry for your loss. I recently lost a dog, but he was ancient (17! Only a year younger than me!).
        Many thanks again! I am very excited for my T, but can't help a few (often unfounded, I'm sure) worries creeping in.

Hannah

Comment

Hannah, I think that it's ok for your T. She'll have the possibility to choose if she wants to stay on the warm side or not (... well, in fact, most of the time they don't choose: they keep staying on the warm side like they're attracted by it). There are no risks, even if temperature gets to 18°C at night (meaning: without the heat pad). Beware to monitor the temperature inside the tank to be sure it isn't too hot with the heating pad, and always watch for the waterdish to be full, to avoid the risks of desiccation.

Cold temperature is slowing the T metabolism a little, meaning it'll take more time to grow (molt) and eat less. Could be a problem when the T is molting if it's too cold, but that shouldn't be the case for you.
          Come and visit us: http://mygales.esy.es

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Charrière View Post
            Hannah, I think that it's ok for your T. She'll have the possibility to choose if she wants to stay on the warm side or not (... well, in fact, most of the time they don't choose: they keep staying on the warm side like they're attracted by it). There are no risks, even if temperature gets to 18°C at night (meaning: without the heat pad). Beware to monitor the temperature inside the tank to be sure it isn't too hot with the heating pad, and always watch for the waterdish to be full, to avoid the risks of desiccation.

Cold temperature is slowing the T metabolism a little, meaning it'll take more time to grow (molt) and eat less. Could be a problem when the T is molting if it's too cold, but that shouldn't be the case for you.
            Thanks Nicolas, for some reason the temperature went up in the enclosure (perhaps the heat mat finally kicked in) and it's stayed at 23/24C consistently for the past two days. My T arrived safe and well yesterday, and he/she is settling in very well. Making webs already, and already eating for England. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Same as Stephen just room temp heating is even off at night all my T's are fine I personally am not a fan of heat mats

Comment

Working...
              X