Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petpals and so forth.

Hi,
    This is one of those embarrassing questions which I feel I should know the answer to, but if anyone would show pity on me and advise me I'd be grateful. Up until now I've only kept Brachypelma/Grammostola sp. in petpals, because of concerns over humidity. Recently though I've noticed a lot of Youtube videos with baboon spiders in Petpals. Is this okay? If so, would it be possible for someone to post here which fossorial tarantulas can be kept in petpals and which need a more sealed enclosure (because of humidity reasons). Any help would be much appreciated!

Originally posted by NikiJoDolby View Post
    If so, would it be possible for someone to post here which fossorial tarantulas can be kept in petpals and which need a more sealed enclosure (because of humidity reasons).
    I cant think of any fossorial tarantulas (or 'petholes' in general) which can not be kept in petpals.

As you already know fossorial tarantulas need a reasonable amount of depth to the substrate, so water poured down the side of the petpal will reach the bottom of the container so it is moist but allow the surface layers to remain dry.
    Personally I keep the substrate of all of my fossorial tarantulas dry, or almost so but provide a water dish.
    From the smallest slings to adults, I've never yet measured humidity for any species yet as there is IMHO absolutely no need whatsoever.

Dont forget that ambient humidity (what dials and gauges measure) has ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING on the humidity UNDER the substrate

EDIT. A quick check of what 'petholes' and other species spend a lot of time underground that I currently keep are Crypsidromus, Ephebopus, Hapalopus, Sahydroaraneus, Augacephalus, Ceratogyrus, Chilobrachys, Haplocosmia, Haplopelma, Lyrognathus, Monocentropus, Orphnaecus, Pterinochilus, Pelinobius, Seloncosmia plus a few that im sure ive forgotten
    Last edited by Peter Roach; 05-12-14, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks Peter, that's brilliant and makes my life a lot easier!!

Comment

Working...
      X