Male or female?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Male or female?

Can someone please sex (if they can) my juvenile B.Albo? On other forums I have gotten VERY mixed responses, with some people adamant it's female and others equally adamant it's male. Currently it's split 50/50, which is kinda confusing for a newbie like myself. Just wondering what you guys think. He/she is about 2.5" DLS. I am new to the hobby (first T). It DID moult recently, but it was too wrinkled/chewed up to tell.
    Attached Files

Hello Hannah. I can understand why your recieved mixed responses to your question: ventral sexing is very hard and inaccurate for many species, specially when they are juvenile. For me, I'm not able to give you an answer based on your picture. Maybe someone else can? The best would be to wait for another molt and either take a picture of the openend exuvia or send the shed skin to someone who is ready to do it for you.
    Come and visit us: http://mygales.esy.es

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Charrière View Post
      Hello Hannah. I can understand why your recieved mixed responses to your question: ventral sexing is very hard and inaccurate for many species, specially when they are juvenile. For me, I'm not able to give you an answer based on your picture. Maybe someone else can? The best would be to wait for another molt and either take a picture of the openend exuvia or send the shed skin to someone who is ready to do it for you.
      Thanks, Nicolas. Yeah, I've heard it's a tricky science. I will wait until next molt, I think. I don't really mind either way, he/she is a LOVELY T, I'd only prefer it to be female because they live so much longer than males. But, not overly fussed either way.

Thanks again!

Comment

Agreed. I expect the main reasons for the mixed responses are due to the fact that it is a blurry picture - even with a perfect picture close up in HD, there are still bound to be mixed responses, as not everybody knows what they are looking for and why. For those that do know, and have extensive experience, the answer will be a much much better bet than a 50/50 guess at male/female - but even then, the majority of these people will still say "confirm with a moult" - which I think is why most people just say wait for a moult!

I enjoy predicting the sex of a tarantula from ventral observations, but as most would agree, it's a prediction, not a 100% definite, apart from perhaps some cases where it really is rather blindingly obvious, which tends to be on older specimens anyway, as Nicolas mentioned in the first reply...

That said, I can't really offer anything either way from that picture myself either (although I have my suspicions), but would be prepared to give it a go if you could get a very clear, well lit close up shot, on the understanding that it is a guess/prediction for the sake of interest, and that a moult should be checked to confirm (and hopefully not prove me wrong!)

Check these links out

It's old, you've all seen it before but just for Stuart so he can link to the BTS web site now. The only real accurate way to sex a tarantula is by examining the epigynal area located between the anterior book lungs of the tarantulas shed skin but to do this you must first know what you are looking for. http://i53.photobucket

I may be banished to all eternity for pasting the 2nd one, but it is at least informative.
        Have a good time all the time

Comment

Hannah I'm not a betting woman but I'd say you've got a girl.

Comment

Working...
          X